• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling Tii on BAT…

BarneyT

When you sell on bring a trailer I believe they write the description for you is that correct? I feel like it could be written better but where the description is lacking I think the pictures make up for it.

Like this part :

"This example was factory finished in Fjord Blue and is said to have been glass-bead blasted, epoxy primed, and repainted in two stages. "

To me that says the current seller doesn't know for sure what the repainting process was, because of the "is said to have been"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, albatcha said:

When you sell on bring a trailer I believe they write the description for you is that correct? I feel like it could be written better but where the description is lacking I think the pictures make up for it.

Like this part :

"This example was factory finished in Fjord Blue and is said to have been glass-bead blasted, epoxy primed, and repainted in two stages. "

To me that says the current seller doesn't know for sure what the repainting process was, because of the "is said to have been"

They would not change that verbiage about the glass bead blasting even when I had pictures of it being done… I was not overly happy with the way the ad read but they only incorporated one of my changes… and took out a joke I made about sure to add value is a Hal Boyles third brake light…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

The descriptions on bring a trailer often seem to not read very well, and sometimes focus on weird things. But I think the pictures show the quality of the car really well and definitely use the comments section to your advantage like jp5Touring suggested.

The recent highest selling Bavaria on bring a trailer seemed good with nice paint and interior but a bit of light rust underneath and the seller was able to get  a really high selling price telling their story in the comments of how the the 14k or whatever low mileage on the odometer was original according to them. Even though it wasn't in the official listing and they didn't have good paper trail proof. Just a story about how their brother had the car and got it from the original family and they parked it in the 70s because the sunroof didn't work or something like that.

As others have said, the comments are key.  Stay on top of the comments during the auction, answer the questions quickly, and expand on anything you don’t like in the BAT written description.  It’ll pay dividends when the hammer drops I promise. Good luck.  It’s a nice car!  

i almost forgot to mention...DO NOT ENGAGE WITH PEANUT GALLERY IN A NEGATIVE WAY.  Let the ass holes be ass holes.  Address any negative comments in a positive and informational fashion.  The serious bidders will reward you for doing so. 

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 1

To contradict (slightly) what I just wrote. I would take the iphone out to the car and do a down and dirty video this morning so BaT can get it up today. One key to good audio is limiting wind noise so drive with the windows up. Then if you have a friend with some video skills do a better one later.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, albatcha said:

Like this part :

That part is the lawyers.  If BAT says it has been done and it has not, they are afraid of being part of a misrepresentation claim.  Just my take.  The ads have been formulaic forever.  In the early days it was sort of interesting but now has become trite, in my view.  Like saying:

“The owner’s handbook appears in rare Arial alternating upper and lower cases, with cautions said to have been emphasized in original, and claimed to have been applied via India ink riding over bent A4 sheet stock, driven through an Epsom jet printer.”   

But the formula is said to be a winning one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

Barney,

This a great car, beautifully restored — excuse me, I meant “said to have been beautifully restored” — and it will sell well.

Expect someone to note that the radio was not “factory” installed — only if you were picking up the car at the factory could that possibility exist — and the steering wheel was “wrapped” in leather post-factory, not “re-wrapped”, since it didn’t have a leather rim originally. Some genius is going to tell you that the car should have aluminum intake runners and an E12 head, because the first changeover was at VIN 2761944. But they’ll be wrong because VIN’s 2762015 through 2762372, which includes this car, returned to the plastic runners and 121 head.

Not having ever sold a car on B.A.T., I always imagine that the most difficult part is listening to the comments — 37% by idiots who sadly and mistakenly envision themselves experts on every car ever produced — and not getting pissed off! ? B.A.T. is one of those places where smooth and cool are more important than correct!

We’re wishing you a great sale! Does this mean you’re looking for yet another tii to restore? ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Barney,

Very nice presentation! The paint and the details in the assembly are awesome. You will do VERY well on BaT.

I  hope you don't get a bunch of weird crank calls by showing your name and phone number on your trailer. There are some  wackos out there.

Just a few questions that might be asked by the gallery:

Bilstein shocks in the front struts? (you mention only rear shocks)

Stickers and VIN plate in the engine compartment?

Does the windshield washer work?  Bottle empty.

Do you have a driver's side wiper blade with the air foil?

What's the wire  dangling under the dash by steering column?

Is that Dyna Mat installed under the new carpet? This is a good selling point.

Looks like the radiator overflow tube is hanging too low...needs a trim. Picky, picky, picky....sorry.

Looks like someone tapped your left rear bumper and scratched your new paint. Time for "diving boards".....just kidding. 

Best of luck!  Car looks fantastic!!

John

PS: The BaT  "legal eagles" are very careful not to state anything that might misrepresent the car, therefore err on the safe side by using "alleged, "reported-to-be", "is said to have been", blah, blah, blah".

• Like 3