• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii Amp Gauge Wiring

dblinsqaun

My recently acquired '74 tii came with what I assume are original, console mounted gauges - one for oil pressure and one for amps.  The oil pressure gauge is fine, but there were no wires connected to the amp gauge.  The back of the gauge has two studs for wiring.  Thoughts on how it should be wired?  Thanks  

20 hours ago, dblinsqaun said:

… My recently acquired '74 tii came with what I assume are original, console mounted gauges - one for oil pressure and one for amps….

Both gauges are aftermarket. There were no console-mounted gauges whatsoever. And, there were no gauges for oil pressure and amperage — warning lights on the left multi-gauge handled both the oil pressure and the charging concerns.

Many owners, of course, added gauges!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

50 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Amp gauges require large wires (~8 GA) and are a real fire hazard if not installed properly.  A voltmeter would serve you better and not be as dangerous.

+1.  Amp gauges went obsolete in the 1950s.

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

34 minutes ago, jimk said:

+1.  Amp gauges went obsolete in the 1950s.

International Harvester must have missed the memo, they used amp gauges up to 1980 when they stopped producing passenger vehicles. Other American cars used them well into the 70’s. 

I installed VDO volt, amp, and oil pressure gauges in my '76 when I first bought the car in 1976...my first "modification".

The amp meter was totally useless....and the wiring was dangerous, so it went "into the pool".

Now I just have the voltmeter and oil pressure.

IMG_4583 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Some amp gauges are wired through a shunt reducing the size and most of the danger in the dash. I Don't know how you would find what shunt went with that gauge but they are matched. A agree you'd be much better off with a volt meter.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

At the risk of piling on, a voltmeter is far preferable to an ammeter--it gives more useful information and is much easier to install.

mike

PS--John76--is your oil pressure gauge mechanical or electric?  If the latter, I've never seen one with a near 360 degree needle swing.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

46 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

John76--is your oil pressure gauge mechanical or electric?

Mike,

I went with a mechanical for that very reason...270 degree needle sweep and more accurate and easier to read than the electrics with their wide range and small needle swing. Have to install them properly and carefully. I have had no problems (leaks, etc.) in the last 45+ years. I still have the pressure sensor light on the dash...but by the time that comes on, you are < 7 psi.

Stock Distributor.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John76 said:

Mike,

I went with a mechanical for that very reason...270 degree needle sweep and more accurate and easier to read than the electrics with their wide range and small needle swing. Have to install them properly and carefully. I have had no problems (leaks, etc.) in the last 45+ years. I still have the pressure sensor light on the dash...but by the time that comes on, you are < 7 psi.

Stock Distributor.jpg

That sure is a pretty polished condenser!

Remind me not to open my hood(s).

:D

• Haha 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

16 hours ago, John76 said:

Mike,

Stock Distributor.jpg

John,

There is a very small inconsistency in the arc of the oil light switch wire as it travels from the switch terminal to the harness sheathing. 

You might want to take a look at that. 

Sheesh. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2