• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glitch Testing

'76mintgrün'02

I think the problem with text disappearing from posts when I hit Submit Topic has to do with uploading photos and then deleting one or more of them.  That deletion might be taking the text along with it.  When that happens, there is nothing left but the remaining photos and they're bunched tightly together without spaces.

I am going to try to replicate the problem in this thread.

Tom

IMG_0191 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0192 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0456.JPG

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

IMG_0542 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0464.JPG

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

Yup.  That caused the Glitch to eat my words.  I had uploaded the VW nose photo and then deleted it.  Once posted, the text was gone.

I've isolated the problem, but have no idea what causes it or how to fix it.  I just need to remember to copy my words before posting because it sucks having to remember what I wrote and typing it out again.  I will link this to the thread in the Site Problems discussion.

Tom

(3-28-2024)  

Time to try uploading photos from different files on my computer and see if that triggers it.  Apparently, there is more to it than simply deleting a photo.

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0433 (1280x954).jpg

IMG_0259.JPG

(3-28-2024)  

Okay, that did not trigger it.  I will do the same thing, but remove one from the window after inserting it and then put it back.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0268 (960x1280).jpg

(3-28-2024)  

No.  I use Chrome.  Chrome got a bug of some sort after a power blink and I had to uninstall/reinstall it to get it to work again.  Then my computer had issues and it spent 14 hours repairing itself.  Thankfully, it succeeded.  

The disappearing text glitch has remained in spite of those things.

The Miata was parked where the 2002 sits now.  You can just barely see it behind the clothesline on the right.

The older wood is big leaf maple.  The new is fir.  I got lucky and filled the shed for free again this year, thanks to combing CL ads.  I wrecked my back splitting the stuff in that photo.  I need to do that in smaller doses, but it's hard to stop when it is so much fun.

(3-28-2024)  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't had trouble with it lately, but I have not been posting many photos.  

I'll speak up if it happens again.

Thank you for asking. 

(3-28-2024)  

• 1 month later...

This post by Larry, aka @2002#3 looks suspiciously glitch-ish.  Images stacked tight on top of each other and no text.  Did the glitch eat your words, Larry?

Tom

(3-28-2024)  

Maybe Larry meant to post only photos.

I just made a long post with 15 photos in it and I deleted a couple during the posting process without getting bit by the glitch.  I DID remember to copy the post before clicking SUBMIT, just in case the text disappeared.  

So, it seems like this problem may be a thing of the past.  Aside from Larry's post mentioned above, I have not seen any other image-only posts that look suspicious.

Tom

• Like 1

(3-28-2024)