• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Camber Plates - Full Camber Adjustment?

JeffM

Looks like I will have to cut away some of the inner fender to get the full benefit of these IE camber plates.  Also looks like I'll need a different strut bar.  Anyone else had to do this?  TIA  

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

You have the perch facing the wrong direction in your picture of the driver side. You have it correct on the pass side.

If you don't want to notch the tower, you can leave out the inner-rearward allen bolt out to gain a little more inward adjustment. You will be fine with three bolts instead of four if necessary.

• Like 1

Just to ask, is this a street car? If so, you really don’t want all that camber. In our race cars, we run lots of camber, but also run plates that have caster adjustment. Adding a little caster allows running a little less than the usual gobs of camber. Less front tire wear too.

Get a set of those spacer plates from later cars that everyone throws away to lower their cars. Notch them and put them between tower and plate.  Spacers are just thick enough to allow the bolt heads to be under the tower.

DSCN5722.jpg

DSCN5479.jpg

Edited by M2M3
  • Like 1

2xM3

54 minutes ago, Lorin said:

For a given ride height, using those spacers will remove 1/2 inch of suspension travel. I wouldn’t want that on a lowered car with stock height strut bodies. 

No.  Since it is above the plate, it does not reduce shock travel.  If you then reduce ride height to compensate, it would reduce shock travel, but since in this case it looked like they car is on modified struts and short shocks, not an issue.

But yes, shock travel should be considered with ANY suspension mod.

Lol... People cut springs on stock shocks without regard for shock travel.  This change would be trivial compared to that.

Edited by M2M3

2xM3

2 hours ago, M2M3 said:

No.  Since it is above the plate, it does not reduce shock travel.  If you then reduce ride height to compensate, it would reduce shock travel, but since in this case it looked like they car is on modified struts and short shocks, not an issue.

But yes, shock travel should be considered with ANY suspension mod.

Lol... People cut springs on stock shocks without regard for shock travel.  This change would be trivial compared to that.

That’s why I started my post with “For a given ride height” 

How can you tell the strut housings are shortened from OPs pictures? 

Edited by Lorin

The struts on my car are not currently shortened, but I’m fabbing up another pair that will be shortened and will use the VW Rabbit shorter strut inserts.   This setup will give me the shock travel I need and still allow the desired ride height (22.5in to fender lip through center of wheel).   Will be selling the stock ride height modified coilovers struts with Bilsteins once I get the new shortened ones put together.   Absolutely correct that this ride height with stock strut inserts is too little travel.   Did some measurements after install and immediately raised the car to avoid damage!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffM said:

The struts on my car are not currently shortened, but I’m fabbing up another pair that will be shortened and will use the VW Rabbit shorter strut inserts.   This setup will give me the shock travel I need and still allow the desired ride height (22.5in to fender lip through center of wheel).   Will be selling the stock ride height modified coilovers struts with Bilsteins once I get the new shortened ones put together.   Absolutely correct that this ride height with stock strut inserts is too little travel.   Did some measurements after install and immediately raised the car to avoid damage!  

Yes. 

Just out of curiosity, how much up travel did you measure with stock height struts and your desired ride height?

Best estimate was 2.5-3 inches travel.  The springs (300#) have about 3.5-4" compression travel after loading, so the struts would bottom out first over a significant bump.  No bueno. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 12:12 AM, Lorin said:

That’s why I started my post with “For a given ride height” 

How can you tell the strut housings are shortened from OPs pictures? 

yes.  just wanted to clarify that the plates do not reduce shock travel.  reducing ride height decreases shock travel.

guessed based on non stock dia springs and IE camber adjusters.

2xM3