• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New windshield gasket sealant.

I've just received new BMW front and real windshield gaskets with the trim and their little caps. After I remove the glass and clean up the frame. I would like to take it to a local independent auto glass shop for the install but want to ask them to add sealant during installation so it won't leak, I believe the factory applied some non-drying sealant during installation but don't know a good name.  I think a product like silicone that hardens up is not the way to go in the long run. Just don't want leaks down the road.

Anyone know a name of what I'm looking for and where they should put it.  I'm thinking on the window frame itself or maybe on the outer groove of the rubber that goes in the window frame?

Thanks

Eric

DSC_0367.JPG

Edited by 7502

I ask because I happen to speak with a glass guy in a convenience store parking lot after work.  He's done VW's and other old German cars of the period using the twine method and he thought they were suppose to leak a little and those cars were only driven in he summer.  What !

He also gave me a verbal quote for around $400 for both front and rear mobile install.

I think I'll check out Louis Auto Glass, they have been in business since 1929, https://www.louisautoglass.com/

23 minutes ago, John76 said:

Just curious....where did you get your gaskets and trim?

I bought them from Blunt as the windshield kit;  front and rear.  All BMW group parts except maybe the little metal end cover pieces for the trim.

pn O2SKITR AND 02SKITF

Edited by 7502
  • Thanks 1

I think this will work. which remains pliable and seals very well. Never use a urethane sealer/adhesive because it will bond windshield, gasket, and body into one and you will have a very tough time replacing the windshield later on.

3M™ Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound _Part Number 08509

And Service Book says uniformly fill rubber lip all around with mastic

Other product that classic MB guys have read using is 

Scott Drake CRL-7708 - Scott Drake CRL Windshield and Body Sealant

Good Luck!

Edited by Buckeye
added link to CRL product
  • Like 1

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Go to page 24 of 37 of the attached PDF section from the BMW Blue Repair Manual

It shows 'Joint Mastic' being used. Search Google.

Next page (25) shows 'Teroson Sealing Compound 2322' - probably not available anymore, but search Google anyway (you never know).

Body_Equipment.PDF

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

11 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Did the gaskets and trim come with free ice cream? 

Tom

Check with vendor.

;-)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

$400 seems like a decent price to install both windshields. I did mine myself with an engineer son and it's not a job I want to do again, although I would if i had to.

Afterwards, I applied a bead of silicone underneath the circumference of the rubber seal. This wasn't easy and was messy. If I were to do it again, I'd tape the glass and body with painters tape to make that cleanup easier. 

I have no leaks.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Well I've booked an appointment at the glass shop for Aug 13th. That should give me time to get it get the glass out and clean it up. Will be fun to drive it in without the glass. I sure hope I don't find much rust in the window frames but I'll deal with it as best I can.

When I'm in there I'll politely ask they apply glazing compound. I know shops don't like now-it-all customers so I'll try to employ my best, most deferential posture.

DSC_0389.JPG

I didn’t put anything under my 1600’s front or back window rubber because it’s always garaged and rarely rains where I live now, but I have used this 3m 08509 glazing compound in the past using a caulking gun to squeeze under the installed seals. It stays pliable making glass removal in the future easy. 

582B26F3-F96B-4E10-81CB-683C82A8EA96.jpeg

• Like 1