• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 2002ti no reserve

You gotta love a bona fide ti!

This one is ready for a comprehensive response to its growing rust issues — much of the original underside paint (wheel wells), overspray, and primer appears to have simply flaked off. The loss of the original block hurts; all the more reason to return the original Solexes and airbox to service (but please make that airbox semi-gloss).

These cars are rare, and especially rare in the U.S. I hope it stays here!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

For me, this was a ti onceuponatime. The sunroof, carbs, seats all say to me this car is not the car it once was. And will never be again. And the rust and dings and dents.  Too many negatives to make this interesting.

What will be interesting is the comments, the bids and the hammer price.

steve oneill

On 7/23/2021 at 3:07 PM, bavariaboy said:

For me, this was a ti onceuponatime. The sunroof, carbs, seats all say to me this car is not the car it once was. And will never be again. And the rust and dings and dents.  Too many negatives to make this interesting.

What will be interesting is the comments, the bids and the hammer price.

steve oneill

I hear you, Steve,

But… recall that tii’s are common compared to ti’s. And this is, indeed, a ti, even if it has lost its block — hey, the only special thing about a ti block, besides the VIN, is high compression pistons, an easily-duplicated feature. I would find a more appropriately-dated block, maybe even a ti block that’s lost its chassis, and get those original Solexes back on the engine.

Don’t get me wrong! What I’m advocating, especially the comprehensive plan to address the rust and re-paint the car properly, will not be rewarded with riches. But any ti that has made it this far, fifty friggin’ years, deserves an advocate and a savior. This car can be a blast once again — it very well may still be, despite the rust!

Best regards,

Steve C.

• Like 1

And I hear you Steve. You make a cogent argument for a restoration to as far back as stock as is reasonable. If I was going full in I would cut a new, sunroofless roof and find a black headliner. No easy or cheap avenue.  I love the black headliners, even thought of installing one in my CSi before I sold it.

I assume you have seen my buddy Michael's 1970 2002ti that just arrived from Silver Arrow cars in Canada. Very original in Colorado Orange. The engine bay is an original beauty to behold.

If you can make it down here for a Rocket Dog drive or possibly the New Hope Auto Show on Aug 15 his ti will be on full display.

Steve

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

So how did this fad/myth begin? And how does one source a black headliner? How closely do they resemble a stock factory white?

Steve

Huh?

In 48 years of ‘02 ownership, I have never even heard a myth about black headliners in ‘02’s — which may indicate that I simply don’t know the right people! ? But I certainly agree with @Jam3422in believing that no ‘02 ever left the factory with anything but a white headliner.

What distinguished your brand new ti interior from a “plain old ‘02” was a clock and a sport wheel — and, yes, many plain old 1970-ish ‘02’s also got sport wheels. As with the rest of the line-up, the close-ratio 5-speed was an option on the 2002ti.

Colorado was introduced in 1968 and for 1968, and possibly part of 1969, it was available solely on the 2002ti (fifth/last photo below, from the December 1968 paint and upholstery brochure). Note that a Tobacco interior was one of the two standard interior offerings!

Best regards,

Steve

1BEFEF1B-BCF9-4232-A498-AFCEE4CD6D09.jpeg

FE1A555F-96C6-4DE9-AB21-4F6B2FB1BB7F.jpeg

C7AA59E0-C0A3-4408-A469-751CF1E324BB.jpeg

96EE5ED8-0236-42B8-B426-C4BF66E97AC0.jpeg

5B0FDD4D-E8A4-460C-B803-8019EA3BC916.jpeg

Steve, here is where I went off the rails, or the road in this case. I have lived most of my adult life on The CSRegister and then E9coupe.com having owned four coupes and five Bavaria's.  I sold my last coupe about a year and half ago and had purchased Lilli, my 1976 2002 for my wife. 

CSL's had black headliners and somehow my addled brain came to believe that ti's, rare birds indeed, came with black liners. I guess this qualifies as a self-created myth.  And Steve, you do know all the right people.

Steve

• Thanks 1

I’m sorry this comes after your generous explanation, Steve. But if one very-long-time BMW owner — you — knew of a myth, I’ll bet others do as well. And so that I don’t hear on my deathbed of a “ti with original black headliner”, I’ll add the following.

Hammering in the last nails of the coffin containing the black-headliner myth… there is the original parts catalogue, a document that confirms the existence of a multitude of special order items — e.g., black and gray leather interiors — that none of us have (yet) seen!

There is but one headliner in that catalogue — OK, the touring models get a different headliner — used on every model from 1502 through factory turbo. And that includes the 1600ti and 2002ti. There are not multiple colors of headliners. There is no evidence of any black headliners.

I’m done!

Best regards,

Steve C.

CF16426A-0DCB-478F-B0BE-28544269AD30.jpeg

0D75D1C4-E757-4F76-933C-5FD9F11C63DC.jpeg

On 7/26/2021 at 10:22 AM, bavariaboy said:

Steve, here is where I went off the rails, or the road in this case. I have lived most of my adult life on The CSRegister and then E9coupe.com having owned four coupes and five Bavaria's.  I sold my last coupe about a year and half ago and had purchased Lilli, my 1976 2002 for my wife. 

CSL's had black headliners and somehow my addled brain came to believe that ti's, rare birds indeed, came with black liners. I guess this qualifies as a self-created myth.  And Steve, you do know all the right people.

Steve

He knows some of the wrong people also.

Black spray paint is still available.

:D

Cheers,

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.