fuel flow after engine stopped - weber 38dgas

Hello all - I was looking down the throat of my 38DGAS a few moments after I turned off the car.  A fair amount of fuel continued to come out of one nozzle for a few moments.  This doesn't seem right to me!  Any thoughts/insight on this?

thanks

wrko

Yes, the gas company's have lowered the vapor point of gasoline to the point where it's going to boil off as soon as it stops flowing, not much you can do about it either. Do you have a spacer under the carb that may help a little bit but not all that much.

These cars originally had a fuel bypass valve that would let the pressure drain back to the tank when the engine was shut off, but they are often removed as part of the emissions package, or just to "simplify" what's under the hood.  The one on my car was already gone when I bough it, so I installed an Jeep fuel filter with a second output nipple that lets the pressure bleed off.  I simply plugged that outlet into the original fuel return line that ends down under the battery tray.  If you search "jeep filter" you will see a lot of threads about it.  

Tom

That's the filter sitting on top of my alternator.  I added the chunk of radiator hose to pad it.

IMG_9100.JPG

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
added a photo

Which fuel pump are you using? 

If it is the stubby style like in this photo, it will act as a fuel heater, since it presses down hard on that hot coolant hose.  The long neck pumps don't touch that hot hose.  I bought this one to replace the long one that came on my car, but then put the old one back in and it is working just fine.  They shouldn't even sell these pumps for our engines, in my opinion.  They are a cheaper alternative though.

058.JPG

068.JPG

Tom

Edit-- maybe these pumps would work for side draft carbs, since they don't use the same divider and there is no coolant hose clearance issue.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02