• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with underhood wire identification

esty

putting wires back where they belong on the 72 so we can try and start it after a very very long slumber...below are wires, etc that i cannot identify or fully understand

what is this...it has spades on the bottom for 2 wires but no wires, a crimped female wire plug indicates a wire was there but to where and what goes to the empty prong

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

next is a double green wire...what is it for

44.jpg

pink/blk wire from fuse 12, assume to + on coil but no idea what the yellow/blk wire bundled with it is

55.jpg

the black wire goes back to where cluster fits so i assume it's tach but there are 2 wires tied together at the fitting

66.jpg

The relay-looking item in picture #1 may be the early-style speed relay that controls the dashpot.

Follow the black wire to see if it goes to the - terminal on the coil.

Brown would be a ground. Green/red might be the signal to the white electrovalve that controls vacuum to the dashpot.

The unused connector(s) is probably switched +12V from the fuse box (Fuse #12 on a '76).

Double green wires usually come from the #15 tab(s) on the ignition switch. Probably the harness for the turn signal and headlight switched on the steering column.

Pink/black: Yes, probably connects + Coil to #15 terminal on starter solenoid. Easy to trace. 

Yellow/black??? Temperature sensor?? Oil pressure switch?? Brake light switch?? Brake fluid level switch?? Not a clue otherwise.

Black wire(s) to the dash are for the tach. They may branch out from there for the speed sensor, distributor, and/or - coil terminal.

This should give you a start to tracing these wires. 

Ha, looks like you labeled your wires with masking tape....but the ink faded or the tape dried up and fell off!  Been there!!!

1 hour ago, John76 said:

The relay-looking item in picture #1 may be the early-style speed relay that controls the dashpot.

Follow the black wire to see if it goes to the - terminal on the coil.

no coil in the car yet so can't say if that's where the black wire on the relay thing goes...but i forgot to say above that black wire on the relay and the yellow/blk wires come from inside the car, they are taped in the bundle of wires going thru the firewall inside the car...i don't want to unwrap things i don't have to but will to find those wires if necessary

from my 5th picture you reminded me of temp sensor...i identified the oil pressure sensor wire, yes, from one of my 10year old masking tape labels but no wire for the temp sender...but those 2 wires, pink/blk, goes to +15 to Coil and the yellow black are taped in old tape very close to the end that connects to the coil...no indication that ylw/blk wire would run up to the front of the engine to the temp but maybe since i don't see any other wires that might be for temp sensor

you said "Double green wires usually come from the #15 tab(s) on the ignition switch. Probably the harness for the turn signal and headlight switched on the steering column" ...then what are those wires terminating out under the hood and what are they suppose to connect to

i found it odd that there is not a single relay on this car, under the hood...could the relay in pic #1 be the headlight relay? searching just now i found this thread suggesting it might be a start relay...which may not be needed, depending on what coil i use...i don't remember the car having a ballast resistor and this relay could have just been hanging, unnecessary in the car...

thoughts or opinions on my thoughts and opinions

* i have a new Ireland dizzy with the fake Pertronix and no condenser and we'll use a blue coil

EDIT...i found another relay i tucked it in the nose with light wires...is it a light relay, signal relay?

and this is a new voltage regulator i ordered...is it correct?

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

Edited by esty

1 hour ago, esty said:

.i found another relay i tucked it in the nose

Looks like the horn relay.  

Brown/yellow goes to the horn button on the steering wheel.

Green/yellow goes to the horn.

Your 2 green wires with a common connector might be the bridge between the "hot" side of fuse #12 and fuses #3 & #4.

Not sure how similar your '72 is to my '76 with a 12-fuse box, but I attached a sketch that might be helpful.

Fuse #12.jpg

i'm still lost with the green wires, they are loose, under the hood, what looks like original connectors, outside of the fuse box...they appear to be meant to connect to something under the hood

we've closed the garage door for the night..tomorrow i'm going to see if there is continuity between the green wires and a fuse

Edited by esty

I'm leave this here for you cause it'll probably be helpful, even though it's for a 73 instead of 72!

- At any rate, I can tell you the purple/black and brown/black are for SURE for the windshield washer pump; I think those colors never changed on any '02.

- I'm also reasonably confident that first thing with the green/red is some emissions related junk that you don't want/need.

- That's definitely the horn relay and a very nice looking voltage regulator.

- A solid green wire is always, always, ALWAYS unfused +12V switched by the key.  So either goes to supply a fuse(s), lights, or the ignition coil.  Since it's got two terminals close together my guess would be it should go the the back of the fuse panel to supply two fuses with power - likely #4 and #12.

73 2002 color wiring diagram.pdf

22 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I'm leave this here for you cause it'll probably be helpful, even though it's for a 73 instead of 72!

- At any rate, I can tell you the purple/black and brown/black are for SURE for the windshield washer pump; I think those colors never changed on any '02.

- I'm also reasonably confident that first thing with the green/red is some emissions related junk that you don't want/need.

- That's definitely the horn relay and a very nice looking voltage regulator.

- A solid green wire is always, always, ALWAYS unfused +12V switched by the key.  So either goes to supply a fuse(s), lights, or the ignition coil.  Since it's got two terminals close together my guess would be it should go the the back of the fuse panel to supply two fuses with power - likely #4 and #12.

73 2002 color wiring diagram.pdf 1.88 MB · 1 download

no wires were ever removed from the back of the fuse box...i'll try and trace them back to where they start tomorrow...and as far as i know this 72 did not have any emission controls on it 

i couldn't resist going back outside...the green wires are connected with fuses 10 and 11...looked at three different wiring diagrams and each one says those fuses are for something different...and i believe AustrianVespaGuy

is right...the yellow/blk and purple/blk are for the washer...i say that based on the size and length of those wires, along with them being bundled together

there are no more loose more wires...i guess we will have to run a wire from fuse 12 to the + on the coil to get it to crank...or can i use the green wire for the + coil wire?

1 hour ago, esty said:

yellow/blk and purple/blk are for the washer...i say that based on the size and length of those wires, along with them being bundled together

Originally those two wires had a common polarized plug that connected to the windshield washer pump; on earlier cars they were separate wires, making it very easy to connect the pump backwards, so that it blew bubbles in the washer tank instead of fluid to the nozzles...that plug seems to be missing on Esty's wiring harness.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 7/17/2021 at 8:55 PM, esty said:

or can i use the green wire for the + coil wire?

Short answer is yes, since you're using a blue coil that doesn't need ballast/resistor wire, solid green switched 12v straight from the ignition switch (UN-fused) is exactly what you WANT to power the coil.  Real bummer when your whole car doesn't run because some bulb blew a fuse! :D

I'm wondering if the two green connectors aren't for providing power for some more emissions junk; or *possibly* that it's supposed to be on the interior instead?  Fuses, coil, and the diagnostic terminal (but that doesn't use a spade connector) are really the only engine bay places that I think solid green should be, though I also agree those terminals look very much original! You're SURE those aren't just the ends that go on the ignition switch?

the ign switch has not been out of the car....the car, a 72 does not and didn't have any smog stuff...when i get the battery tray in and a battery so i can test for power and verify the double green wire is hot with ignition on, i'll use it to power the coil...i don't remember but that may be what it was used for before we started pulling stuff years ago

i read over the weekend John76 said in a few older threads that you could use any grn/wht wire to power the coil...i looked and did not find a single green/wht wire under the hood

another question...where do the black wires connected to the starter solenoid originate from

Edited by esty

51 minutes ago, esty said:

John76 said in a few older threads that you could use any grn/wht wire to power the coil.

Yikes!  No, the Green/white wires come from the fused side of #12. The unfused side is solid green.

Always have the coil powered with a solid green wire from the unfused side to avoid the car from stopping because of a blown fuse.

See my above sketch of the #12 fuse. All the Green/white wires under the hood power the accessories (choke, idle solenoid, etc....all stuff that can be shut down if the fuse blows without a sudden engine shut down (not fun if you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic at 70mph, a typical scene on CA surface streets).

Your '72 did come with smog controls (air pump and EGR). The late '72 and '73s did away with the air pump, but kept the EGR and added the speed relay/white electromagnetic valve and dashpot. Other non-smog related stuff included the seat belt warning light, and possibly the ignition switch buzzer.

Your relay-looking box could be the relay for the external resistor in the coil circuit.

• Like 2