• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear ended! Insurance advice Should I total it?

Print out all the sales and evaluation sheets you can and bring them with you, the adjuster will do everything in his power to convince you he's on your side and your friend, don't believe it for a second he is out for his company period. If he's talking bull shit don't ever threaten a lawyer just get one. stick to your guns and keep his rental car if he threatens that the rental is going to go away and he's offering 2k for a 11k car you might ask him how, if this goes to court, he can say he's negotiating in good faith. It's not that I'm down on insurance people IMHO it's just that the last time honorable people were seen going into a insurance building was when the KGB took over the great northern insurance building in Moscow.   

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Hey Coastal! 

Now thinking ironically that the federal bumper didn't help me that much. I think that crumple zones may be a better idea. My bumper itself looks the same (freaking monster) and all the energy that was supposed to be absorbed by the bumper shocks just transferred the energy elsewhere and pushed my back end to the right. Just worried on how the fender on the opposite side got damaged. Just tells me as amateur there is a frame issue. 

Questions for Experts: (Don't laugh..cuz my hands are used for other things than wrenching) 

Because the car is unibody, woud replacing several panels fix everything? 

Can a frame straightener be used and would it fix it? 

Cheers everyone! 

Vic 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

it's just that the last time honorable people were seen going into a insurance building was when the KGB took over the great northern insurance building in Moscow. 

(snort)

There's no subframe involved in the ass of a 2002-

the trunk floor hangs off the rear fenders, and they transfer load up the c- pillars to try

to get some triangulation.  It's as close to 'almost not really any structure back there' as you can get.

So yes, a lateral hit will be transferred over by the floor and the bumper mounts.

The square cars have some structure to support them, and a sideways hit will

transfer load through the bumper.  Without the later bumper, the floor absorbs the 

load, rather than transferring it.

Vic, pics would help a lot.  Costal's pics follow what I've done- you grab the rear quarter,

tug it back into position, and then start working the distortion out of it and its

supporting panels.  

The question of 'total' is kind of arbitrary, and really what you're balancing is how much money

you can get out of insurance, whether you keep the car, and how you get it fixed if you do.

Don't forget to hit up insurance for your time for doing work that was caused by the wreck-

they never  want to pay for that, but they're on the hook for it.

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

This makes me sick.  But I am glad that it was not worse and hope the best for your health.   Two things that I did to hopefully reduce the chances of being rear-ended are:  (1) replaced my tail and brake lights with LEDs.  They really are much, much brighter than new original lights.  I bought mine from a company that seems not to offer them any more but I think someone on the faq makes them or at least has written a blog on how to make them yourself (2) Installed a high center brake light in the rear window.  It also is LED and quite bright.  True, neither is original but if it saves me from a hit then it is worth it.  

• Like 4

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

@Vicleonardo1 I got this recommendation from a friend, it's in north Seattle and the have a rack to straighten out bent frames:

"Haury's Lake City Collision is Seattle's only BMW Certified body shop, to my understanding. They are BMW owners and racers. They do paint and body for Vintage Coachworks that built Daniel Wu's S600 (the actor and his last SEMA car). They're the best but ain't cheap."

Also suggest the following in Seattle:

Eurotech

Fenders and Fins

Let me know if you need anything. 

James

• Thanks 1

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"