Just got my tank all boiled out and back in the car. I am guessing previous owner put the wrong fuel sender in the car as it has an “in” line like my carbed car?

I only have two hoses back there and two connections on fuel pick up. 

Can I just cap the fuel sender like I have done and move on? Does the rest look right?

Also, the wire coming out back there….where should that connect? The one to the left of the large fuel line…not the sender one already hooked up. 

Car came with a crazy incorrect in trunk pump that was not going to work. 

And don’t worry…all clamps will be replaced with correct ones after I get it running!

8EC4BBFA-276C-477A-98F1-DB7222A7ED29.jpeg

1088799F-F9B5-4442-BC0D-FAB69A4A9FE0.jpeg

Edited by Highnote1

Yes, you can cap the fuel pickup on the sending unit like you've done and that will work. I haven't done an exhaustive comparison of all the different length sending units out there, but the sending unit needs to match the tank depth to give correct readings. The other electrical lead is most likely that for the electric fuel pump. I'm told it's a good practice to upgrade the gauge of that wire - and to install a inertial fuel pump cutoff - there where that connector is a good place to wire a pigtail to the switch, which can then be mounted in the trunk for easy access. Fords have relatively inexpensive reliable inertia switches.

Fuel return pipe belongs outside (under) the passenger compartment.  Not described but I assume the return line in use is a plastic line.  If it gets cut or leaks, the passenger compartment will get lots of gasoline in it.  It's a safety issue.  A spark from a switch (they are not explosion proof switches) could explode the car.  OEM line was a steel tube mounted underneath the car.

The fuel level sensor and pickup was for a carburetor car.  The nipple is for drawing fuel out of the tank, not putting fuel in.  The screen in the bottom would catch particles inside the assembly instead of the outside.

4 hours ago, jimk said:

Fuel return pipe belongs outside (under) the passenger compartment.  Not described but I assume the return line in use is a plastic line.  If it gets cut or leaks, the passenger compartment will get lots of gasoline in it.  It's a safety issue.  A spark from a switch (they are not explosion proof switches) could explode the car.  OEM line was a steel tube mounted underneath the car.

The fuel level sensor and pickup was for a carburetor car.  The nipple is for drawing fuel out of the tank, not putting fuel in.  The screen in the bottom would catch particles inside the assembly instead of the outside.

Thanks! My understanding on the Tii the return lines go through the car like the fuel supply line does in a carbureted car. Concept being the plastic lines melt if ignited and close down…thought I read that somewhere. 

Tii has metal supply line under car but plastic return?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, jimk said:

Fuel return pipe belongs outside (under) the passenger compartment.

On the tii and turbo the low pressure fuel return line runs inside the car in the plastic tube.....seems to work OK, no significant history of BMWs cremating their owners.

Edited by dlacey
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, dlacey said:

On the tii and turbo the low pressure fuel return line runs inside the car in the plastic tube.....seems to work OK, no significant history of BMWs cremating their owners.

Chassis built after the 02 have them under the car.  Hmmmm.

I see posts with concern to have an impact switch (safe shutdown) for pumps added to carb'd 02s, but the Tii pump keeps on running on impact!  The circuit has no safe shutdown.

Edited by jimk