• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering locks before full turn?

Dawskip

Car is a 74 2002

I jsut replaced the steering link and the tie rods. Now, when turning the wheel the the right it locks up before I it maxes out, left side appears to be fine. 

I believe it was working fine before, or at least wasn’t as bad as it is now — is this a steering box issue? What should I look for?

Did you happen to remove your front struts? Check for possible coil spring and top hat clearance. It’s possible they could be causing interference with each other. The top coil hat and bearing  are spaced to allow for rotation when turning the wheel. Either the coil hat has distorted or the bearing has flattened and now they are binding together. There are a few spacers in there as well. 

Just now, Jae said:

Did you happen to remove your front struts? Check for possible coil spring and top hat clearance. It’s possible they could be causing interference with each other. The top coil hat and bearing  are spaced to allow for rotation when turning the wheel. Either the coil hat has distorted or the bearing has flattened and now they are binding together. There are a few spacers in there as well. 

Did not even touch those, just unbolted the tie rods and the link and put the new ones in. 

Is your steering box top adjustment screw turned way down?  When it is screwed down too far the sector shaft protrudes excessively through the bottom of the steering box, causing the pitman arm to contact the control arm.  Ask me how I know.

If you have it really cranked down, you could be locking up against the control arm.  That’d give you about 1/3-1/2 your normal turning capability.  If you aren’t showing at least a couple threads you definitely need to look at the box.  You should first try loosening the top screw.  If it relieves the turning problem, good.  Then check your steering wheel play.  If you can live with it and not wobbles or other steering issues, carry on.,

Otherwise, there are some good threads here on steering box rebuilds.  Not an easy job, but the parts are available.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

1 minute ago, 0257 said:

Is your steering box top adjustment screw turned way down?  When it is screwed down too far the sector shaft protrudes excessively through the bottom of the steering box, causing the pitman arm to contact the control arm.  Ask me how I know.

If you have it really cranked down, you could be locking up against the control arm.  That’d give you about 1/3-1/2 your normal turning capability.  If you aren’t showing at least a couple threads you definitely need to look at the box.  You should first try loosening the top screw.  If it relieves the turning problem, good.  Then check your steering wheel play.  If you can live with it and not wobbles or other steering issues, carry on.,

Otherwise, there are some good threads here on steering box rebuilds.  Not an easy job, but the parts are available.

Was a little tight, I loosened it and was able to get a little bit more angle but not all of it. 

currently maybe half a turn short on the side. 

58 minutes ago, Dawskip said:

Was a little tight, I loosened it and was able to get a little bit more angle but not all of it. 

currently maybe half a turn short on the side. 

May or may not be your issue.  Only way to really tell is to eyeball it.  From the right angle you can actually see the pitman arm impinging on the control arm knuckle just below it.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000