The delays at the body shop have diminished and my car is 2 to 3 weeks from paint!  So, in addition to finishing refurbishing the vent window frames, I need to re-assemble the Behr Evaporator.  Tasks include repainting the two mounts, epoxy right angles brackets to replace the broken wing tabs, flush the evaporator (it has been pressure tested), replace expansion valve and reassemble.  

My questions are: 1.  I could not find the article, but what is the type of foam needed to wrap the two copper pipes on the evaporator?  and 2.  I cannot locate the opening for the temperature probe in the evaporator.  There is one opening going in an up towards the back.  No copper sleeve.  The second point reveals why I am not a doctor.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, ray_ said:

https://nostalgicac.com/insulation-tape.html

Are you referring to the thermostat probe? I think they are just poked thru the fins....

Cheers,

Sure, in those low-end Frigikings and Clardy’s, you just “poke it through the fins”. But a Behr is a piece of fine German engineering, there’ll be no pokin’ here!

Read the indecipherable instructions (below) and look at the less-than-useful photo and then…. maybe just poke it through the fins… 😯😉

Instructions:

https://bmw2002tii.nl/wp-content/uploads/behr-airconditioning-installatie-handleiding-bmw-2002.pdf

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, David Layton said:

Thanks for the tape reference.  That has been ordered.  On the temperature probe, where is the copper tube located in the evaporator?

The expansion valve tube or the thermostat tube?

The former is clipped on, with a spring clip.

I have removed the expansion valve and found the wire and clip under sticky stuff and cork tape.  My main question was regarding the wire that comes off of the Ranco temperature control and into the evaporator.  Is there a specific place this goes in?

19 minutes ago, David Layton said:

I have removed the expansion valve and found the wire and clip under sticky stuff and cork tape.  My main question was regarding the wire that comes off of the Ranco temperature control and into the evaporator.  Is there a specific place this goes in?

Steve answered that. In so many words.

;-)