Speeding in Residential Neighborhoods

My neighborhood has been plagued by wrecks and accidents due to street racing. Most of the young miscreants are driving BMWs and Mercedes cars. They are plowing through stop signs at 80mph + and crashing into everything and anything. Three have ended up in my own yard after jumping a small wall and plowing through a large hedge. On a number of other occasions they ended up near or in my driveway. They've destroyed my dad's 74 2002 and nearly missed my cars. But, never mind the cars. It's the pedestrians and residents who really have to keep an eye out for them. I believe the Glendale-Burbank area has the highest percentage of pedestrian fatalities per population in the entire country.

Not to be a hypocrite, I've wrecked my 02 in the mountains ten years ago on ice. But, this is an entirely different matter. I'm looking for pics of some of the accidents. The link below is to one of the accidents in the area. Most of these idiots live in or near the neighborhood.

https://daglianlaw.com/glendale-california-notoriously-dangerous-for-drivers/

Edited by Slavs
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slavs, could I suggest you create just one universal thread to post all your complaints about how others are choosing to live their lives ?    I’m thinking “Get off my Lawn” would be a good tit

Yep! I remember that. That was my 1968 Florida Green 1600. Fun little car. It lives in Texas now.    I don't think I've changed much in the last 10 years. As income rises, expenditures rise.

Here's the thing about getting old: it beats the alternative.

Posted Images

Speed bumps....the plague. They have the nickname "reclining policeman" here. Bollards and fake roundabouts shorten the distance to pick up speed. Not always are the local municipalities keen on proactively ensuring safety...

A.

Yes, ask the city to add a few speed bumps or roundabouts to control these irresponsibly driven cars. Even as a younger driver I at least knew not to speed (much) in built up areas take that behavior out to the country it's still not right but at least if you blow it you  more than likely just going to end up in a field and not harm others. Old man rant, these kids are being raised with out any exposure to personal responsibility, end rant before I really get going.  

PS the city could do what the city of North Bend does and just stop maintaining the roads.

Edited by Son of Marty
Posted (edited)

Here are some pics I took in front of my house. I was awoken at 4:00AM by what sounded like a train wreck in my driveway. The punk lost control, sideswiped my Dad's 74 02, destroying and bending both trailing arms and the subframe, then proceeded up the sidewalk and into the tree which stopped him. The car under the cover is one of my other 02s, which he narrowly missed. I've moved my cars into my garage since. The punk's  attorney was at the scene almost as fast as the police. That's what we're dealing with here. Their parents are giving them everything and allowing them to act like irresponsible miscreants.

I live in a fire zone on a street with two fire stations. The city is refusing to put speed bumps because they need the thorough way for the fire trucks. The Speed Racers know this and they are here at night, especially the weekends.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by Slavs
1 hour ago, Slavs said:

I live in a fire zone on a street with two fire stations. The city is refusing to put speed bumps because they need the thorough way for the fire trucks. The Speed Racers know this and they are here at night, especially the weekends.

If this is usual activity I'd think the police could rack up on weekends! 

Posted (edited)

This neighborhood is getting downright dangerous, and it was considered as one of the safest suburbs of Los Angeles. Last summer I was sitting on the porch with my dog, trying to cool down a little at about 1:30 AM. My view is to the mountains just one block up. Then all of a sudden all Hell broke out; loud rapport of gunfire echoing from the hills. Judging by the sound there were different weapons involved. I thought there was at least one high powered semi-auto assault rifle with high capacity magazine. The shootout seemed to go on for 20 seconds. As I grabbed my dog and hit the deck I thought that some damn punks were on the next block up and firing into the air. But, I was wrong. It was a real gun fight at the OK Corral.

Weeks later I learned the Mexican Mafia sent a hit team to collect on a drug deal gone bad. Evidently, one of the distributors wasn't paying. And, he was living comfortably in one of these McMansions just up the road. When it was all over one of the residents was killed with his wife critically wounded. One of the assailants also lay dead in the driveway. It was a scene straight out of "Scarface". 

A new wave buyers and immigrants are coming in to have a piece of the “American Pie”, But unlike the previous waves who toiled in the farm fields and factories this new wave is impatient to realize their “American Dream” overnight and at any cost. Their brazenness is partly fueled by their experiences living through  various conflicts and regimes of the Caucasus, Balkans, Middle East  and Latin America. As an immigrant to this land, I understand their plight and ambitions, but I will never condone involvement in illicit underworld activities.  I often come across people from my own native country, which has been destroyed through war and ethnic strife fueled by the geopolitical agendas of super powers, who are likewise impatient to get rich overnight.

And, they are buying up the working and middle class bungalows  characteristic of "Levittown" for top dollar in cash (1 million $ +) then razing them to the ground and building mini palaces on the small lots. The corrupt city officials are issuing the building permits for these ostentatious structures which impede privacy and all views to those unfortunate enough to find themselves flanked by them. It's one of the few places left in the Los Angeles region which allows for lax building codes in favor of developers vs. long time residents and homeowners. In such a situation there is nothing left for one to do except sell and move. Many people have moved or are in the process of moving.

This exhodus started after the Lockheed Corporation and much of the local industry associated with aerospace moved out during the early 90s. The old workforce was left behind to be treated with indignity as the city started to court developers and anybody with enough cash to come in and build as they wish. And, the rotten kids running wild are just a manifestation of this flawed strategy.

These kids are` irresponsibly speeding around in exotic cars, but mostly BMWs and Mercedes' and crashing into everything and everybody. BMWs seem to be their car of choice. During the summer almost every night is party night. Auto insurance premiums associated with the zip codes to this neighborhood have gone through the roof. As I drive my 02 down the street I'm constantly keeping an eye for drivers blowing through stop signs. I find myself slowing down at every intersection. It's like running the gauntlet.  They literally try to intimidate you and run you off the road. So, recently I started driving a beat up Ford Expedition, for safety.

Pictured: my 69 1600, dog, girlfriend and Ford Expedition

IMG_0587.JPG

Edited by Slavs

Slavs, could I suggest you create just one universal thread to post all your complaints about how others are choosing to live their lives ? 

I’m thinking “Get off my Lawn” would be a good title. 

Or engage a more positive outlook on life…

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
2 hours ago, Lorin said:

Slavs, could I suggest you create just one universal thread to post all your complaints about how others are choosing to live their lives ? 

I’m thinking “Get off my Lawn” would be a good title. 

Ha Ha HA ! That gave me a good laugh as well.

But, you know, I have a good point. If you lived here, you would understand.