If you get one of these you don't need to worry if the trans has a speed output or not, and you can use your stock speedo instead of a GPS speedo (same company makes both):

It's the Speedbox by Speedhut, I have it in my 72 with a 240 and it's legit, hides behind the console so you'd never even know it's there.

10 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Its not a speedometer well it is, but it receives a sat signal, translates it to rotary motion and drives your original speedometer. A complex little device.

https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/product/2585/SPEEDBOX™-GPS-VSS-to-Mechanical-Drive-Speed-Converter-(Cable-Included)

Pretty cool piece of kit.  Did you just hook it up to switched power, or did you pull power from the battery/cigarette lighter for constant power as well?

I'm assuming you got the "thread on" version?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Leucadian said:

Pretty cool piece of kit.  Did you just hook it up to switched power, or did you pull power from the battery/cigarette lighter for constant power as well?

No answers for you, I don’t have one, just mentioning it’s out there.

Too expensive and complicated just to maintain a stock look.

4 hours ago, Veet said:

Is it possible to add the speedometer cable input to the getrag 5 speed that cam without? Thanks

If you are referring to Getrag 240 5 speeds , No I don’t think so...
Not economically feasible anyway

Does the tranny have a boss for the speedo, if so some just have a "freeze plug" driven in these will accept the standard getrag speedo gear,  you'll have to remove the rear cover and put the speedo  ring gear in place of the spacer. if there's a boss but it's not machined it can be, there was a video on this years ago, then install as above, no boss =sol.

Edited by Son of Marty

Someone had posted a how-to, but you're basically canibalizing another trans to swap the cases, not exactly a DIY for most.

Speedhut sells GPS speedometers that fit into our clusters with some modifications, you can even customize them the face to match the stock crosshairs.

I didn't though, I like the black look (used their tach as well)

20190103_233353.jpg

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Veet said:

I will have a look . It appears that there is a boss. Thanks 

However, there won't be a driving gear for the speedo on the mainshaft,

which means transmission disassembly, which is a significant proposition.

Oh, as John says, above.  

That Speedhut dingus is cooooooolllll...  and you couldn't diy it for much

less than they're charging, if you paid yourself a dollar an hour to develop it.

I would think, having played with speedo cables a bit, that adapting it to the

2002 speedo input wouldn't be too hard. 

t

A long time ago in Northern Virginia I was contemplating the same situation and was recommended a shop that was set up to machine the speedo drive gear bore in the housing. That’s as far as that story goes because I found a another good gearbox that already had a speedo drive. 

This is the thread I was thinking of, but it was for an M42 using a Getrag 240 for an M10 that already had a mechanical speedo.

So basically, you need a M10 Getrag 240 that has a mechanical speedo in order to have a mechanical speedo lol.

To make things worse, if you already have a 240 installed w/o a speedo, you would need to make a new trans mount if you got a 240 with a speedo (mechanical speedo 240 is a single mount vs. dual mount with the elec speedo 240)

If you're deadset on stock looks, the Speedhut Speedbox is the way to go, otherwise a GPS 3 3/8" speedo is cheaper but requires more work to install (but way cheaper/easier than finding/installing a mech speedo 240)