• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 M42 Swap Project

IWantOne

Price: $7000

Description:

See the Google Photos album below for photos!  See the Wheelwell link for build information!

Hey folks - just picked up a new job and unfortunately the car can't come with me.  I'm certainly not happy about it, but that's how these things work.  This is my second '02 - I've had this one since June of 2018 and have enjoyed the heck out of it.  Engine swap began in August of last year but as projects go, I just got burned out on it and never reached the finish line.  

Why didn't I finish?  Time.  If I could go back I wish I'd just left the original M10 with blowby in it until it died . . . 

Disclaimer: the previous owner is responsible for any and all questionable aesthetic choices!  The car hasn't always been my taste in 2002's aesthetically, which is partly the reason I burned out on the project.  

Here's a massive Google Photos album!  Photos are sorted by date so scroll to the bottom for the most recent shots.  

Here's the registry entry.

Here's a build list and short write-up.  Most mechanical components related to the M10 have been removed.  

Installed is the following, on top of the original, non-drivetrain related components, listed here on my Wheelwell account:

• 1991 M42 from E30 318is with approximately 150k miles.  All oil seals were replaced by me before the install.  Don't have compression numbers but was told in confidence by a frequent r3vlimited member that it ran well upon him removing it from his car.  
  • Getrag 240 also from a 318is.  Dual mass flywheel.  Clutch and throwout bearing have a few thousand miles on them.
  • New engine, transmission, and exhaust manifold from JakeB.  New exhaust studs and nuts.  New transmission mount bushings and OEM 2002 engine mounts.  
  • E30 318is driveshaft mated to matching LSD also from an E30
  • 1991 M42 wiring harness, to be tied into 2002 harness per JakeB's instructions
  • 1991 M42 ECU
  • 1991 E30 fuel pump with return

Needed to get the car running:

• Splice M42 harness into 2002 harness, and mount ECU in or near the glovebox.  
  • Install coil packs onto passenger fender, or do a coil-on-plug conversion
  • Throttle cable rigging
  • Return fuel line 
  • Slave cylinder attached to gearbox
  • Downpipe fitted for O2 sensors

Everything mechanical is already installed and ready to go, save for the slave cylinder and throttle cable.  I have everything else needed to complete the swap including coil packs, fuel pump relay, ECU, MAF, et cetera.  Don't the have O2 sensors, but that's about it.  Heating and cooling system is taken care of, as is the mess under the intake.  

Included in the sale is the original M10 block with E21 head and dual Webers.  Door cards, driver's side floor pan, extra turbo flares, beltline trim, license plate trim, and a few other miscellaneous interior bits are included.  I've sold the intake manifold, water divider, and 245 five-speed.  Pay asking price and I'll include a '74+ nose panel in what I believe is Atlantic.  

Please don't hesitate to shoot offers (and judgement) my way.  PM me if you'd like to chat over phone.  

Cheers, 

Emmanuel H.

IMG_20181202_161221.jpg

PXL_20210711_144620731.jpg

Edited by IWantOne

17 hours ago, BMWApex said:

Hello, I couldn't remember my old login. But I am interested. I'd like to know a bit more about the chassis. Thanks, let me know.

Hey, thanks for the interest. Chassis is clean. I had the driver's side frame rail repaired but everything else is solid. Right rear rocker panel has been patched, can't speak to the quality of that as the lines look a bit wonky.  Should have a few photos in the Google drive that demonstrate how healthy it is otherwise.  Feel free to text me at (678)-522-1177 and I'll likely respond more quickly.

Edited by IWantOne

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 8:02 AM, H E L P said:

Well, I’d be all over this project if the entire under of the car was not covered with goop. Makes me wonder what all is hiding beneath. How does one uncover all that goop now?

You're welcome to PM me and we can discuss. Happy to make a video call with ya. I wasn't the one who installed the 'goop,' so I can't speak as to what's beneath it. I can say most if not all of the typical trouble spots are rust free. Shock tower, subframe connection to the floor, frame rails, and most of the rocker are clean.  Only concern is the right rear rocker in front of the wheel. Photos should demonstrate what's what well.