No Affiliation,

From what I can see, this car needs to be completely disassembled, stripped and treated, extensive sheet metal replacement, etc. More detailed pics are needed of the rocker panels, floor pans, shock towers, doors, fenders etc. etc. There is probably a lot more rust there than meets the eye. He’s asking 25,000 Euros. If doing all the work on your own, including welding and paint, it would still cost $20K to restore it, not to mention your time. If you want to get hosed by the 02 specialty shops and body shops, I would estimate $50K - $75K to get it restored. And, it probably wouldn't be done properly as someone would throw in a 2L, e21 5 speed, 321, Recaro seats, e21 LSD, later 2002 sub frame, two stage paint, etc. etc.

But, this is the state of affairs with this hobby these days.

Maybe some of you with deep pockets may want to entertain the idea, but its certainly not for me at this price.

As far as I'm concerned this car isn't worth a dollar above $5K, more realistically $3K.

The interior color combo is very rare for an 02. I've only seen all Grey seats and two tone Grey/black interior panels in a 66 1600 which was sitting at a self service salvage yard in Santa Paula - Ventura County, CA, 20 years ago. It was in about the same shape as this car and the yard was asking $500 for it. I removed the seats, but not the panels as they had holes cut out for speakers.

The link works once you log onto your facebook account. If you don't have a facebook account, you got to openone to view the ad as that is where it is posted.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/871862427087338/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 3

The sad reality is our US dollars are going down in value and these cars are remaining the same, thus costing more dollars to purchase the same type of 2002 back when we thought they were more affordable.   

5 hours ago, Slavs said:

20 years ago. It was in about the same shape as this car and the yard was asking $500 for it.

Cheers,

Matt

6 hours ago, Slavs said:

The interior color combo is very rare for an 02. I've only seen all Grey seats and two tone Grey/black interior panel in a 66

A friend in Indianapolis has a '75 with a black exterior and grey interior--US spec car and the only late model I've seen so painted/upholstered.  

mike

• Like 1