• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yoko S-Drive Replacement? Advan sucks

D Seattle

Yokohama stopped making the S-drive which was about the only (and best) option for our cars with 15" rims.  Old news, yes?  Was a year or two ago. 

The so-called "replacement" by them is the Advan.  I am positive however that tire, compare size to size, is a lot more "rounded" (bulbus, sticks out) on the sidewall.   Yeah, the dimensions are the same but not all same sized tires are created equal.  I Hate the look of the Advans but as has been observed, we don't have a lot of optoins.  The s-drive, to me, if you were not going full stock, bias ply tire look alike, complimented the squarish'ness of our cars by its squarish profile.  The Advans, in my opinion, are big fat round ugly bastards.... Don't like them at all.  I won't bore you with the details but I have 4 perfectly good s-lines but needed different size for the fronts and am running Advans on the front, s-line on the back.  Tread pattern is the same.  Looks, not so  much.  I notice it, maybe others do not.  But its for me, of course.  ? 

All that said, and this pops up once in a while but to ask the question more recently, anyone have any luck with a 15" rim, squarish looking sidewall tire?  If damn Michelin would make their pilots in 15" it would be done and done.  No such luck.

I've searched and searched.  tire rack, google, etc.  Coming up dry.  Figure it was time to update the question?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Edited by D Seattle

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

• D Seattle changed the title to Yoko S-Drive Replacement? Advan sucks

I was running 195/50R15 Dunlop Direzza DZ102’s but when it came time to replace them, I found out that they had disco’d the size that I was using. So, I went with Advan Flevas in the same size as I had used S-drives in the past and was happy with them. I actually like the way they feel more than the Dunlops.

In terms of appearance, I do know what you mean: the top of the sidewall where it meets the tread is more rounded but in my opinion that isn’t a big deal aesthetically.

Best of luck…

EF17BD2E-66AD-4606-ADAD-53FF70AF77E1.jpeg

96F4323F-C067-4012-BC79-72E19907C386.jpeg

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Lol .. Saying a tire "sucks" because you don't like how it looks?

Yoko "advan" is a line of tires, not just one model.

The advan fleva is the replacement for the s.drive and it does not suck.

Full disclosure though, I could care less how a tire looks on a car, I only care how well it sticks to the road....

Edited by M2M3
  • Like 1

2xM3

3 hours ago, M2M3 said:

Lol .. Saying a tire "sucks" because you don't like how it looks?

Dude, why be a hater?

There is a whole industry devoted to making retro, period looking tires just for the aesthetic.  There are whole bunces of guys on the site that run old school, bias-ply looking tractor tires just for the aesthetic.  I"m happy you only care about how the tire "sticks to the road" b/c for the most part, any tire off the shelf is going to do that well enough for speeds on public roads.  (although, yeah, I prefer my Michelin Pilots on my 550 so I like a nice tire too)

But yeah, the tires and the "shoes" of the car.  If you spend a bunch of time going for a certain look and you can only fine brown hush puppies to go with your nice, expensive suit, it sort of sucks.  

Yes, the Advan (yeah, dude, its a line of tires, thanks for the update - like the S-drive was) runs nice.  Same tread pattern as the S-drive.  Its black and round.  It works.  Wasn't the question though.

Just asking for any input on the question.  Because actually, it does matter.  I'm running 15x6 on the front and 15x7 on the back with rolled, but still stock configured, fenders so yeah, that amount the side wall bulges out actually does come into play both in how the car drives with fender rub and astehtics b/c that close to the fender, you don't have all that lovely tire gap a stock set up has. to not even notice what it looks like.

Anyway, M2M3, we have not exchanged comments before and I see you have a huge number of comments and thank you for that (still solex though?  kick in), but come on, I just asked a question.  No need to be derisive over it. 

Toyo Proxes RA, Yokohama A008's, AVS Intermediates?  Flat sidewalls usually come with lower profile and extreme performance tires.  I would run any of the above on my 02 but then again I am running 14 X 8's.  02's generally don't eat up tires, in fact mine will probably be considered dry rotted before they are thread bare.  Wish I could say the same about my 370 Z but even Continentals only last 15K miles.   I don't think anyone was hating, I mean that is if you weren't hating on volumptious tires in your OP.  

2 hours ago, D Seattle said:

Dude, why be a hater?

There is a whole industry devoted to making retro, period looking tires just for the aesthetic.  There are whole bunces of guys on the site that run old school, bias-ply looking tractor tires just for the aesthetic.  I"m happy you only care about how the tire "sticks to the road" b/c for the most part, any tire off the shelf is going to do that well enough for speeds on public roads.  (although, yeah, I prefer my Michelin Pilots on my 550 so I like a nice tire too)

But yeah, the tires and the "shoes" of the car.  If you spend a bunch of time going for a certain look and you can only fine brown hush puppies to go with your nice, expensive suit, it sort of sucks.  

Yes, the Advan (yeah, dude, its a line of tires, thanks for the update - like the S-drive was) runs nice.  Same tread pattern as the S-drive.  Its black and round.  It works.  Wasn't the question though.

Just asking for any input on the question.  Because actually, it does matter.  I'm running 15x6 on the front and 15x7 on the back with rolled, but still stock configured, fenders so yeah, that amount the side wall bulges out actually does come into play both in how the car drives with fender rub and astehtics b/c that close to the fender, you don't have all that lovely tire gap a stock set up has. to not even notice what it looks like.

Anyway, M2M3, we have not exchanged comments before and I see you have a huge number of comments and thank you for that (still solex though?  kick in), but come on, I just asked a question.  No need to be derisive over it. 

Hi,

I have to step in here, the title says the tires are rubbish, but actually you have a sidewall profile fetish...I have to agree with M2M3, what they do is far more important than the visual profile in transition from sidewall to tread. Perhaps a good topic for the stance thread...

Andrew

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

4 hours ago, D Seattle said:

Yes, the Advan (yeah, dude, its a line of tires, thanks for the update - like the S-drive was) runs nice.  Same tread pattern as the S-drive.  Its black and round.  It works.

LOL!  ok, i get it. you clearly are not a tire person.  FYI, no, the s.drive was not a line of tires.  it was a particular MODEL of a tire.  yokohama's ADVAN line/family of tires has many different models.  do your research...https://www.yokohamatire.com/tire-search/by-family/advan

the advan fleva model is the one you appear to dislike so much because of the curve of the sidewall.  Dude, why be a hater????

good luck in your search for the "flat Stanley" of tires for your car!  ?

?

• Like 1

2xM3

Hey, y'all with 15" wheels--count your blessings for what's available in that diameter, and feel sorry for those of us who still run 13s.  Unless you want really pricey Pirellis or Michelin XASs, you're stock with T or S rated "all season" tires from (mostly) unknown brands and  manufacturers, made in countries you never knew had a tire industry.  I've been trying to find some good 14" tires for my E30 in a 195/65x14 or 205/60, and can't come up with much that isn't really pricey.  And even those are unknown quantities...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I always thought the S-Drives were really big for their size- so if the new tire is even bigger, try maybe going down a size?  Especially on a 6" wheel.  I thought the 195's were really squirmy on the 6" rim myself.  The 205 on a 7 was the same, and got a lot better for me on the 8" rim.

You could get in touch with Firestone.  They're making a Firehawk Indy 500 blah blah whatever, but they've got some 205/45 and /50-16's, which is good for me, being on 16's.  Maybe they'd make some 15's...  I mean, even just a 195/50-15 would fit a lot of cars from the 80's.  I'm on the 205/50-16 on 8's currently, and there's not much stretch.  I've got some 7" wheels on the way with the same tires- see how squirmy they get.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I get you D. I also prefer a square profile vs the stretched donut look. 

I used to run S Drives but currently run BFG g-Force Sport Comps 195/50 on a 6.5 rim. Still pretty square to me. You're welcome to check them out in person, just PM me to set up time. 

Edit: performance wise, I think the BFGs have a slightly stiffer sidewall so they feel better than the S Drives in the dry, but the Yoko's were stickier in the rain. One benefit to the BFGs is that the sidewall design is really plain and devoid of excessive patterns/branding, which I also prefer. 

Cheers, James

Edited by Teelinger

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

My processed for selecting tires, for what it's worth, is, how do they stick in the dry then how do they stick in the wet followed by are they black.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

18 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

My processed for selecting tires, for what it's worth, is, how do they stick in the dry then how do they stick in the wet followed by are they black.

Other than missing the round part, I'm with you 100%....

Andrew

• Like 2

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

10 minutes ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Other than missing the round part, I'm with you 100%....

Andrew

Ok... I give up.  ?

I want my tires to stick, be black, and be round too.  But all tires, for the most part, do that.  Just asking an aesthetic question.

Thanks!

I had Yoko S-Drive 195/50-15 tires on my former Centra Type 11 wheels. When I sold the Centra's, I went with the same size Yoko Advan Fleva on 15X7 ET25 Amil wheels based on my previous experience with the S-Drives.  No complaints here with the Advan Fleva, I'm a happy camper. 

123393585_10218759155435930_6914398477134657857_n.jpg

123408101_10218759154795914_7361720997479439761_n.jpg

123431299_10218759155955943_7242158151414619406_n.jpg

20201108_143709.thumb.jpg.ee4327b38450eddcfef754028ecd9227.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner