Hi looks like I got a flat on my 2002.  I got these rims I want to use.  Can anyone direct me to a tire that will fit my base 73 2002.  As well as fit these rims. And where can I grab a set of rubber tires that are GOOD TIRES.  I’m not cheap. Dez 

3B249D08-6587-4650-AF06-F04E34E30A73.jpeg

Des, the wheels you pictured are from an E21 (320i).  The 18mm offset isn't ideal for a 2002 but it will work.  You may have some rubbing on hard lock, and perhaps even a little from the fender opening lip, depending on whether you have stock springs or lowering springs.  Check archives for more detailed info on that, and for how to roll the fender edge without cracking the paint.

You don't want to go any narrower than a 185 tire on a 5.5" rim, either.  Those Pirellis seem to be the top choice for tires these days, but there are other brands (ones you've actually heard of) that are quite serviceable--and a lot less expensive--than the Pirellis.  Kumho comes to mind--I have 'em on my '73 and they're quite satisfactory--and folks have also commented positively on Federals.  They're not my old Yokohama Y351s, BFT Comp T/As or Goodyear Eagles, but no one else seems to make a really good tire in that size. 

As an alternative, you might see what's available in a 205/60x13 but that will make low speed steering pretty stiff, especially if you have a smaller-than-stock steering wheel.  A 165/80 (oem), 185/70 and 205/60 all have the same rolling diameter, so your speedo will remain accurate--or as accurate as they ever were with any of those three sizes...

mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had steel e21 wheels in that size/offset and they fit okay with 185/70/13 tires.  A previous owner did roll the lip of the front fenders though.  I don't think there'd be room for a 205 tire, due to the offset.  ( I could be wrong).

I replaced those wheels with stock 2002 steelies that have the ET29 offset and the steering got noticeably lighter.  The car feels much more nimble, with less feedback from the road transmitted to the steering wheel.  The difference in offset is referred to as the scrub radius and increasing that increases the effort involved.  I didn't dislike my car with the e21 wheels, but I prefer the 2002 offset.  

One other thing to note is that alloy wheels don't use the same lug nuts as steel wheels.  They're both 60 degrees, (I think) but the nuts for alloy wheels have a more bulbous end to keep them from digging into the softer wheel.

It's nice to see you back Des.  Have you made any new 2002 videos lately?

Tom

• Like 4

hi Tom, thanks for not forgetting me. Although I have forgot about tap talk cuz I had issues with my account. So I bailed. Hopefully I will be able to entertain here in this platform: 

look the tire thing alludes me.  I like to think a know a few things about the 2002. But the tire thing I’m learning,  if you needed 4 tires that fit that rim in the above pic.  Where would you go as a go to, till I buy proper rims , in a pickle. Dez

On 6/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, Des said:

where can I grab a set of rubber tires that are GOOD TIRES.  I’m not cheap. Dez 

If I was you, I'd take Paul's advice above and shop here.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-cn36/185-70vr13-pirelli-cinturato-cn36.html

If you want to read up on people's experience with these tires, here is a NINETEEN-PAGE-LONG thread on the topic.  :D 

(I'm running around on hand-me-down Vredsteins that make me happy.  They're also 185/70/13).

Tom

P.S, I am not able to see a video, but was able to enjoy the music.  Thanks.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
P.S.
  • Like 1

I'm getting corrupt file!

I miss the vids, too.

I'm a huge fan of the Vredestein tires.  I haven't used this particular tire, but their tires in general have always made me happy.  I also had some Kumhos in the 13" size.  The Solarus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One more note, I had to adjust my toe-in alignment when I switched from ET18 (like yours above) to ET 29 (stock).  It felt a bit squirrely at first.  

The wider offset does make the car feel planted and the road feedback feel was fun.  I also switched to a larger (stock) steering wheel when I changed wheels, so that amplified the difference.

I am not saying your rims are "wrong", just pointing out some differences.

Tom

• Like 1

I would keep those rims for now and for the tires, if you want the stickiest tires for the twisty's go with the cn-36 if y,ou want a tire just for more normal town driving get the vredestin's, they'll last a lot longer.

• Like 2