Out of curiosity, I have been looking at the RealOEM parts diagram for the e21 heater/ac blower.  It looks like they got rid of the old heater box and replaced it with a unit that used the same type of blower as the Behr 02 AC unit for both heat and AC.  Has anyone been familiar with the e21 ac unit to check this?  The BMW part # (as opposed to the Behr #) is different, but that may due to the fact that it is for the e21.

I did once, long ago, and I THINK they're dimensionally different.  The 2002 version was

more compact, and the E21 wider.

But the E21 A/C was a 'dealer option' as well, so for all I know, my 'sample of one 1981' may not

represent all the potential options out there.

The E21 heater blower's different, too.

BMW LOVED to change things dimensionally.

Just a little bit.

t

I dunno E21 but the E30 unit will mechanically fit to the bulkhead aperture if you cut off the two screw studs that held the 02 heater on. The centre of the dash needs to be cut to clear the bigger unit...and worst of all,the 02 wiper mechanism won't clear the big fat blower that sits in the plenum. But if you could work around those issues you would have combined heat & cool with servo controlled flaps, recirc & fresh air, servo water valve etc. I plan to do it one day...

Ha!  I'll bet, then, that the smaller, non- a/c E30 heater box would fit.

Of course, that doesn't really solve the no- a/c problem, does it?

t

I am not looking for a Heater box replacement, I was looking to see if there were newer replacements for the AC blower motor in the Behr Evaporator housing.  The motor is likely a common motor used with various blower cages.