Has anyone cut open a IE exhaust muffler or resonator?

Curious if anyone has photos of the inside of the Ireland SS muffler or resonator? 
The system is just too tame sounding for me so I'm thinking about some surgery. I'm curious if either have a "down and back" style routing path that could be modified to be more straight through. 
Also curious if it uses packing material or metal baffling to decrease noise. 

The car's got a Weber 32/36, headers and the IE SS exhaust and it still sounds stock unless you're at WOT, and even then the noise is mostly induction howl from the secondary opening. 

3 minutes ago, Mucci said:

the noise is mostly induction howl from the secondary opening

A stock air cleaner (silencer) helps eliminate the howl... unless you enjoy that noise,  :) 

When I installed mine, I was pleasantly surprised at how much more I heard the exhaust note (stock).

Tom

Hard to tell from the can shape, isn't it?

Grab one of those tiny cameras on a stick and see what you can see!

t

in for bafflectomy pics.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, bavariaboy said:

Can a stock air cleaner be installed on a Weber without mods?

What do you mean by "mods"?

I have the original air cleaner (original paint too!) that I installed on a Weber 32/36.

I did have to modify the bottom to fit to the Redline (small rectangular) air filter base.

This keeps the stock look and functionality....loosen the three nuts and lift off.

001.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, John. Should have used "modifications."  Didn't mean to sound like a restomoder. Whatever that is.

I have seen lots of grey stock air cleaners. Would black be the stock original color for a '76? My preferred color is black.

Thanks,  steve

Black is stock for a '76, as is the ribbed lid, like the one in John's photo.  Aside from the silencing, another benefit is the cool air intake through the snorkel. 

I didn't mean to hijack this thread with that comment.  It's just that it really did make a difference in my ability to hear (appreciate) the sound of the exhaust.

Here is a long thread on the air cleaner/weber topic.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/127626-fitting-a-stock-air-cleaner-on-a-weber-3236-a-few-s/?tab=comments#comment-82501

Tom

Posted (edited)

Why is this thread now about making the car quieter with a stock air cleaner? Please start your own thread or send a PM if you want to discuss that.

Edited by Mucci
5 minutes ago, jireland2002 said:

The exhausts are straight through.

Muffler and resonator? So they use perf core and packing to damp sound I assume?

Do you have any reasoning behind which one would be best to modify to increase sound a bit? I was assuming muffler... both because it's in the word and because it's a cylinder ( likely more simple inside to modify )

It’s amazing how effective at silencing a straight through muffler can be with a decent size canister. 

Years ago on my brothers 2002 I cut the top off his stock muffler and turned it into a straight through, perforated core glass pack and welded it back together. It was just as quiet as it was before I did the work!! 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Lorin said:

It was just as quiet as it was before I did the work!! 

Then what was the point?  Not relevant! this is a thread about more, not less or equal noise😁

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Then what was the point?  Not relevant! this is a thread about more, not less or equal noise😁

The goal was to get a bit more sound. I ended up removing almost all the packing in the muffler and that gave it a pretty good , throaty sound. 

I mentioned my experience because the Ireland system is similar in that it also has a decent size muffler. 

If I was going to try to get more sound out of the IE muffler I think I would try replacing part of the perf pipe with solid. Best case would be a perfectly sized pipe that could be inserted into the muffler and tack welded to block sound escaping through the perf holes. A tight fitting pipe shouldn’t restrict the exhaust too much and you could play with the sound using different length pipes. 

Or shorten the entire muffler.