• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Oil Pressure -- pulling the engine.

years ago I had the same problem.  Went to go to work and had zero oil pressure.  First I thought it was the sender unit for oil pressure gauge.  Bought mechanical gauge and had same issue.  Pulled valve cover and cranked and had no oil present at valve train.  Pulled oil filter and cranked, no oil coming out.  Well must be the pump?  The engine had been rebuilt maybe 5K before(nice build). I did not want to pull the motor but found that I could jack the motor enough to remove the oil pan and remove the pump.  When I got the pump out I realized that the sprocket that drives the pump had moved to the back of the spline was no longer engaging the splined shaft, but was spinning freely.  Too lazy to look up engine diagram but I believe there was washer deleted between sprocket and the back of the shaft.  My repair was to put a washer between the sprocket and the back of shaft and the gear once again engaged the spline.  Put it back together and once again had good oil pressure.

Saved me the time of pulling the whole motor.  Good luck, nothing scarier than no oil pressure on fine build!

If the engine has never been right since the rebuild, I might be inclined to find a good / decent used motor, install that so the thing is running and driving, and then go through that rebuilt motor.  Who knows what's going on- I mean, you're assuming that it was rebuilt correctly.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I love Craigslist... I was able to pickup this really nice engine hoist during the week... luckily I only had to drive about 40 miles (one-way) to pickup it up. no worries, The guy that I bought it from said he had a repair shop in old town Temecula, but that due to COVID he had to close his shop. He said the hoist was only used about 4 times as his shop mainly did engine maintenance like oil changes and tune ups.. anyway killer price at only $100 bucks... plus half a tank of gas.

Once I get this engine pulled, I'll take lots of pictures as I work on getting this engine running,

Larry F in Ca.

IMG_3927.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, larry_in_socal said:

I love Craigslist... I was able to pickup this really nice engine hoist during the week... luckily I only had to drive about 40 miles (one-way) to pickup it up. no worries, The guy that I bought it from said he had a repair shop in old town Temecula, but that due to COVID he had to close his shop. He said the hoist was only used about 4 times as his shop mainly did engine maintenance like oil changes and tune ups.. anyway killer price at only $100 bucks... plus half a tank of gas.

Once I get this engine pulled, I'll take lots of pictures as I work on getting this engine running,

Larry F in Ca.

IMG_3927.jpg

Great score there. You can seel it on at a profit! You might want to buy (HF?) or borrow one of those balancer gizmos that change the angle.

Has the engine ever run before the zero oil pressure? 
I had a friend that didn’t change oil on the regular and had a very similar issue. I told him to change the oil more often and flush the engine. He was adamant it was his oil pump. He did almost everything changed the oil pressure sender, checked with a manual gauge and cranked with the valve cover off. 
He finally took my advice and flushed the engine and went to 15w50 oil, it had oil pressure again. 
But this was a car that was running and driven daily… you might not be as fortunate as he was. 

It's pretty easy to tell if you are getting oil pressure by removing the valve cover, if there is oil dripping from the spray bar if so you have pressure, if it's dry you need to find out what's going on. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Update...

i was able to do some quality wrenching today. i started early, finished pulling all external accessories, smog pump, ac compressor, and came up with a game plan to pull the engine. I headed to my nearest HF.... they are running a Father's Day special, ended up getting one of those load levelers, as it comes with chain, just needed some bolts, and I was off to the races. The engine pull wasn't all that bad, as the pictures show I was able to pull the engine from the drivers fender, it cleared with no issues, didn't have to take the hood off, so I'm super stoked about that. I basically did it myself, until the very end where I got my daughter to basically pump the jack while I checked the engine to body clearances.

Also attached is a picture of the header, seems to me that someone had to convert a header to be used with all that smog stuff needed here in California. I could imagine what the mechanic did with the internals, if I find RTV on the headers, not sure if this is common practice, but I have never seen anyone use RTV on exhaust ports. Also I counted the bolts, although they were all there, there was a mix match of washers, and bolts, like they went to their "nut and bolt" can to find what they needed to complete the job.

But after all that is said and done.. I'm stoked that I was able to set a goal and accomplish it...

Next is looking at the oil pump, to see what is going on, that might be tomorrow or next week depending on what's happening tomorrow...

Talk to you soon.

Larry F in Ca.

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

• Like 2

I have never seen a header with those cutouts around the stud holes, good Idea, also the smog addition is some thing special. I would tilt the engine towards the drain plug put a pan under the engine pull the filter and let it drain overnight, it will make it much cleaner when you drop the pan. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Update ...

I pulled the oil pan, needless to say there was l layer of old oil gunk at the bottom of the oil pan. It just looks like old oil that has been turning into varnish. It doesn't really smell like varnish, just like oil with a slight fuel smell. Also I have the old three bolt style oil pump. The chain is super loose and it has only  one oil pump shim, but I do not know what size it is. I was able to clean off the oil gunk from the pickup screen, and it seems to be clean, no foreign material. I can't check the oil pump o-rings till I get the front crank pulley housing off. I have a flywheel holder coming in the mail, so once I get to it, I will check both o-rings, who knows perhaps they are brittle or damaged, won't know till I get to them.

Overall the engine looks super clean, however I haven't cracked open to check the bearings yet.  That is coming next.

I'm going to first clean all the gunk out of the oil pan tonight.

I may have found the reason for no oil pressure with all that gunk, as it could have prevented oil from being sucked by the pump.

Thoughts ??

Larry F in Ca.

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

Wow except the oil pan the rest of the crankcase and parts look real clean, gotta wonder what the story on the sludge compared to the rest of it.

George S Patton 

Update # 2....

I cleaned out the oil sludge and found these small bits in the oil sludge.

There are two small metal pieces that seem to have broken off from somewhere in the engine, doesn't look like part of a piston or a piston ring, but again I won't know unless I take this engine apart, perhaps someone can chime in on this one, perhaps part of the rockers.

There seems to be some sort of broken up seal, and a small spring, I put them all together, as I thought that they went together, perhaps they are part of some sort of seal? Not sure what this is, again if someone could chime in on these small bits.

Perhaps these are causing all my lack of oil pressure ?

Or maybe they are remnants of the rebuild that made their way down to the oil pan, or maybe they all go together somewhere and the lack of seal effected the metal piece, or vice versa the metal piece broke off and damaged the black seal "thingy".... lol

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry F in Ca.

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

Edited by larry_in_socal
  • Sad 1

Whelp, there's your problem-

that goo won't suck.  Specifically, won't suck up into the pump.

And there's an o- ring, too.  But that's less of a concern than the sludge.  The o- rings are

after the mains, anyways.

The metal, I don't recognise right off, and you wouldn't get ring bits in the pan, anyway.

I agree, next, see how the bearings have survived.  Plus, the cam journal bearings.

The old pumps are far less failure- prone than the spline design, so if it's ok, I'd happily

keep a 3- bolt pump.  SeemsIllegitGarage, among others, is doing 3- bolt conversions...

Wonder what mix of crap in the sump gelatinized?  Too much Slick50?  Or STP???

t

not an additive addict.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL