what could go wrong

A local friend/CCA member gave me a set of H&R 50401 sport springs, thought I needed some 15mm roll center spacers, all installed, ditched all my poly motor mounts and steering coupler. Nice stance, real clearance problem with my 14" wheels. Terrible grinding. Where did I go wrong, hoping to never disassemble those struts again.

profile.jpg

• Like 1

It's metal, control arm on the inside of the wheel. Larger brakes installed years ago from Dave Varco, no clearance issue, that's when I installed the 14" wheels, to make room for larger brakes. Again foolishly saw the 15mm roll center spacers, thought those were needed with H&R 50401 sport springs. Rears seem happy, small VW rotor and caliper. No backing plate on front rotor.

First problem is that I have no clue about the "roll center" deal, just thought those spacers were needed, OK, got the spacers. Putting them in was trying to imagine what the hell they accomplish, oh wow, a grinding noise, perfect! I'm still cranky about giving up the plush side walls of the 13" wheels, now I need 15's. I wonder if 14" steel wheels would clear? So wheel spacers will accomplish the "roll center" dilemma?

On a separate note, while I can't drive my car in its current state, new rubber motor mounts and steering universal, killed the steering wheels "buzz". Also the repair of the stainless exhaust collector fixed the air leak that had my AFR going off scale lean.

collecter flange.jpg

20210528_162350.jpg

Roll center spacers are to remove bump steer in significantly lowered cars. If your tie rods haven’t gone past horizontal you don’t need them. Adding spacers might put your wheel into the fender or fire wall depending on current clearances. 

Edited by Mike G
Editing
  • Like 1