weber 32/36 throttle linkage

my linkage is for an automatic and i cannot make it work with the 32/36 or 38/38...does anyone know where i can get this linkage or does anyone have one...(i need 2)

linkage.JPG

or one or 2 of these...

Accelerator Linkage Shaft 3.JPG

1) IE made (makes?) one.

2) Also, redline (weber distributor) had them, but they were spendy considering what they are.

You just need to specify orientation.  Orientation of bend can be one of two positions depending on carb (the 32/36 and 38/38 are oriented differently, UNLESS you are installing a knock-off 38/38 in which case they are the same).

I have grabbed both ends and simply twisted-

the 'bent L' style version's not that thick, and pretty ductile.

It survived the 180 rotation.

t

fabrication uber alles.

3 hours ago, esty said:

or one or 2 of these...

Accelerator Linkage Shaft 3.JPG

Hey!  I recognize that photo.  I was showing the welding done to eliminate the wear there.  Here are the before and after photos to go with it... since it fits under the title of the thread. 

018.JPG

192.JPG

195.JPG

I guess this sort of wear is something to look out for, if you're shopping for used parts.

Tom

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I was showing the welding done to eliminate the wear there. 

I had the same problem with that peg--it was badly worn like yours.  What I did was find a piece of brass tubing at our local hobby emporium that was a tight slip fit over the peg and then cut off a piece the correct length and tapped it on.  When it wears out I have another foot or so of tubing so am set for life.  A longer term solution would be to use a piece of stainless steel tubing of the proper ID, but I wasn't able to find any nearby.

mike

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I guess this sort of wear is something to look out for

Hmmm. I always thought the "flats" were to keep the peg in the slot on the original Solex throttle lever.

Looks a bit too clean to wear evenly on the top and bottom?

I just slipped a piece of nylon tubing over the peg to take up the slack and prevent anything from rattling.

John

1 hour ago, John76 said:

I always thought the "flats" were to keep the peg in the slot on the original Solex throttle lever.

Looks a bit too clean to wear evenly on the top and bottom?

A NOS part would answer that question, but I suspect the flat spots are from wear and it was a round rod to begin with.  I don't think they would build that extra play into the connection.  Wear on the bottom would happen when the return spring at the firewall was pulling down on it at idle and the wear on the top is from it working against the carburetor's return spring.  The wear was deeper at the top than the bottom on mine.  Vibration from the engine probably just whittles away at it over time.  (my guess)

The slip joint feature that disappears into the firewall is cool.  It was a well thought-out connection.

I wish the link between primary and secondary was adjustable.  I'm amazed at how much of the time I'm cruising on just the primary side.  I wonder if anyone's ever made the secondary come in sooner.  (Sync-link not included).

Tom

There's a beat up one in Canada but I would feel bad paying that price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294033783550?hash=item4475c77afe:g:fSQAAOSwTSlgOHpr

16 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

adjustable.  I'm amazed at how much of the time I'm cruising on just the primary side.  I wonder if anyone's ever made the secondary come in sooner. 

I've always felt that way as well. But on the positive side the fuel economy is pretty good.  If I had it my way I would open the secondary maybe 25% earlier. 

2 hours ago, John76 said:

I just slipped a piece of nylon tubing over the peg to take up the slack and prevent anything from rattling.

John

I'm in the John76 camp on this one. Looks like I may have crimped mine a bit too.

DSC_0281.JPG

3 minutes ago, 7502 said:

I've always felt that way as well. But on the positive side the fuel economy is pretty good.  If I had it my way I would open the secondary maybe 25% earlier. 

Your fuel economy is so much better than mine that I'd like to see the numbers on the back of your speedometer!  :D 

My odometer stopped again, so I don't have to worry about mileage anymore.

If I had my way, I'd have a little knob in the console that let me dial in the secondary sweet spot.  25% sounds about right.

We're still on topic, right?

Tom

Posted (edited)

i saw the one in Canada...it doesn't have the threaded end that connects to the weber throttle shaft...push comes to shove Steve may be able to make on...maybe, hopefully

Edited by esty
42 minutes ago, 7502 said:

I'm in the John76 camp on this one. Looks like I may have crimped mine a bit too.

I added a little copper 'shim' to mine to take up some slack, a while back.  I put a little grease in there too.  It's fun to go through and add little drips of oil to the linkage now and then.  

IMG_8922.JPG