Exhaust plugged solid!!! Can’t believe it even ran!

Had to drop the front of the driveshaft to replace the center suppose bearing. It was a PITA. I had to cut the exhaust off to get the driveshaft back in. Someone welded the entire exhaust together...

Upon cutting the exhaust off, I discovered that the muffler area was COMPLETELY plugged! The header fell apart when removing it too so my guess is that when I got it running the exhaust was poring out of the crack in the header... the exhaust looked like someone smooshed up a bunch of PayDay candy bars and packed them in there... I have absolutely no clue how it even ran like this...

So I’m looking for a new exhaust. I’m thinking ansa sport resonator and muffler which are out there and I can source. But I need a header... Ireland is out and so is everyone else. I’d prefer a shorty or maybe even a tii manifold... If anyone has one on hand they’re not using please let me know... 

Also my shifter was super wonkey... Took it off and now I’m starting to think it’s a good time to swap to the later 4 speed style shifter and linkage. If anyone has that lying around I’d appreciate it too. 

Thanks

Rocco

B01F65FE-BAFE-450F-97F2-360F3F8B22F7.jpeg

E87B82C6-0FC4-45F1-AA22-7D845108BFCC.jpeg

65AEEEFB-305F-41BC-9F15-AB8266D9B41F.jpeg

1BF99D42-5485-4E6D-B88A-682109FF14B7.jpeg

0C4F8A15-7B01-4EDD-9FE7-7FA8007545C1.jpeg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Looks like a rodent stash.  I once removed a 5 gallon bucket full of walnuts from under the hood of my truck--it had been parked for less than two weeks.  Some enterprising squirrel was bitterly disappointed when he returned for his winter chow.  My get even:  I put the bucket full of nuts atop a second 5 gallon bucket and placed both atop our patio table--and then watched frustrated squirrels try to climb up two plus feet of slippery plastic to get to all those nuts...

If you're gonna park a car for awhile in a place where mice, squirrels, chipmunks etc can access em (and that's nearly everywhere), take a couple of pieces of hardware cloth and form covers over your exhaust pipe and carb air intake,  They can't chew through the hardware cloth and you won't stashes or nests in your exhaust system or air cleaner...

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RoccoGilroy said:

So I’m looking for a new exhaust. I’m thinking ansa sport resonator and muffler which are out there and I can source. But I need a header

Forget the header, they are over rated , stock exhaust flows pretty good

scronge a stock manifold here on the FAQ, buy an Ansa downpipe , OE center and rear mufflers. Compared to the mess you have, it will be “free flow” heaven.

Ansa can be rappy sounding and then there’s the Ansa drone...I hate that.

Nice chunk out of your finger by the way, I fracking hate exhaust work, it’s the worst.

Theres only one sane approach to exhaust work : cut out all old exhaust, let it hit the floor with a thud and drag it away. Install all new stuff

Are the threads ok on your driveshaft stub? They look a little odd

Edited by tech71
7 hours ago, tech71 said:

Forget the header, they are over rated , stock exhaust flows pretty good

scronge a stock manifold here on the FAQ, buy an Ansa downpipe , OE center and rear mufflers. Compared to the mess you have, it will be “free flow” heaven.

Ansa can be rappy sounding and then there’s the Ansa drone...I hate that.

Nice chunk out of your finger by the way, I fracking hate exhaust work, it’s the worst.

Theres only one sane approach to exhaust work : cut out all old exhaust, let it hit the floor with a thud and drag it away. Install all new stuff

Are the threads ok on your driveshaft stub? They look a little odd

I had an ansa sport set up on old red and I liked the tone personally. I’m older now than I was back then so maybe my taste has changed but time will tell. My hands are beat right now... I hate gloves... Cutting it out was so so satisfying...

When I first got the car running a bunch of nuts shot out the tailpipe. My dad immediately said, “cut it all off... It’s clogged! I guarantee it...” I told him “no way! How is it running?”

When I cut it off and found the nuts I immediately called him and gave him his opportunity to say I told you so... Which of course he did lol... 🤣😂

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mike Self said:

If you're gonna park a car for awhile in a place where mice, squirrels, chipmunks etc can access em (and that's nearly everywhere), take a couple of pieces of hardware cloth and form covers over your exhaust pipe and carb air intake,  They can't chew through the hardware cloth and you won't stashes or nests in your exhaust system or air cleaner...

My car still has the factory squirrel-proofing in the winter/summer box.

IMG_8926.JPG

This car obviously did not!

cracked air cleaner.JPG

• Haha 1