evening all

i have a 5 speed e21 box in my 02. 

the shift has always been a little vague shall we say!

i have made a frankenstein setup using a z3 short shifter and a mixture of the plastic bushes from the original stick and the z3 item which has improved the throw front to back but the side to sode movement, whilst in a selected gear is still HUGE!

i think the problem lies in the twisting of the linkage between the bottom of the lever and the box end. i recall seeing that Ireland did a linkage that has what i can only explain as having a bar on both sides of the bushes raher than just one side as standard. that would reduce th slop right? could i make the same up with rose joints?

what have others used? 

many thanks 

The linkage itself could be worn. Also, new bushings are helpful but the right bushings are essential. Even a small (very small) mismatch in a bushing can have a large impact on the feel. It must all be "tight".

I would crawl underneath and while someone moves the shifter side to side slowly I would watch the linkage to see where it is "loose". I would then check that area carefully. It's possible a metal shaft is worn out of spec and a new one is in order.

I don't have photos to share. If you have photos of yours, please post them.

JasonP

• Like 2

It sounds to me as if you have a well-worn, possibly-damaged, possibly-bent shift linkage — perhaps on a well-worn trans — on which you’re attempting to pile makeshift kluges to compensate for its wear and history. A new or overhauled e21 5-speed is not a vague “bowl of porridge” when shifted.

I suspect the lack of replies to your post might be because others, as I’ll admit I did originally, said “Oh boy: this is a big old mess and it’s going to take some time just to get this guy back to basics!”

If I were you, I’d start by looking for threads on e21 5-speed overhauls and shift linkages, where others mention what they have done to refresh an old e21 trans. There are always bushings and other wear items that can be replaced. How many miles are on your trans? If you know the correct answer, you’re 1 in a thousand. If you have no idea, you’re 999 in a thousand!

Although there are e21 5-speed dogleg trans — first gear is towards the driver — they are not overdrive units and are much less common than the typical e21 5-speed overdrive trans — first gear is forward, away from the driver. So I’d first confirm that you have a non-overdrive 5-speed — first gear “on its on” to the left and toward the driver.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Conserv said:

It sounds to me as if you have a well-worn, possibly-damaged, possibly-bent shift linkage — perhaps on a well-worn trans — on which you’re attempting to pile makeshift kluges to compensate for its wear and history. A new or overhauled e21 5-speed is not a vague “bowl of porridge” when shifted.

I suspect the lack of replies to your post might be because others, as I’ll admit I did originally, said “Oh boy: this is a big old mess and it’s going to take some time just to get this guy back to basics!”

If I were you, I’d start by looking for threads on e21 5-speed overhauls and shift linkages, where others mention what they have done to refresh an old e21 trans. There are always bushings and other wear items that can be replaced. How many miles are on your trans? If you know the correct answer, you’re 1 in a thousand. If you have no idea, you’re 999 in a thousand!

Although there are e21 5-speed dogleg trans — first gear is towards the driver — they are not overdrive units and are much less common than the typical e21 5-speed overdrive trans — first gear is forward, away from the driver. So I’d first confirm that you have a non-overdrive 5-speed — first gear “on its on” to the left and toward the driver.

Regards,

Steve

thanks steve

yes it is a bit of a mess!

unknown miles and a lot of one off brackets and mods - the car had a massive rebuild 2k miles ago and a lot of the engine internals were replaced. gearbox unknown though- its a 1st closest to driver beneath the reverse .

the z3 quickshift idea came from elsewhere on another forum but i thought id give it a go as the slop in the original was horrendous. i need to get it up on a ramp an get the guibo off to see the linkage properly. i'll post some pics.....  thanks for taking the time to reply.

Edited by Mk2zetec
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right before there is an onslaught of this all being wrong - i know!! i'm in the process of trying to sort it out and this has been cobbled together to keep it on the road whilst i order the right bits!"

top photo - i have packed out the botom of the stick with washers - there is a spherical bearing on the bottom of the stick but the original bushes and pinion are too small. as an interim measure ive made a thin sleeve and used washers. my plan at this end - if i keep this stick is to use a 3d printed bush/sleeve, similar in design to the factory one but that fits the spherical bearing.

Middle pic - the original stick with knackered bushes. note that its been welded - this is either to try and make a short shift or to convert a rhd drive stick to lhd - the difference being that they are canted over differently.

bottom pic -

1 = my interim bodge

2 = needs new bushes (replacement factory type or 3d print)

3 = ? - i am getting LOADS of movement here and this is where the bulk of the slop in the mechanism is. there is a spring clip that holds this on. i assume it should be much more of a solid connection? i think i need one of these https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/billet-selector-rod-joint/

the other question is does the connector linkage between the two bushes look right? or is it bent.

Advice appreciated! many thanks 

First ot sounds like you have a getrag 235 dog leg 5 speed.

The shift lever in the pictures above looks like it's an early 2002 style that has had the shift pivot ball moved up to make it a short shifter. The linkage and pivot are the later 2002 style. These parts aren't meant to work together, I would get a later style shifter that is meant for the later linkage and the billet pivot from ie.

I don't think the linkage looks bent but it's not straight because of all the washers.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

First ot sounds like you have a getrag 235 dog leg 5 speed.

The shift lever in the pictures above looks like it's an early 2002 style that has had the shift pivot ball moved up to make it a short shifter. The linkage and pivot are the later 2002 style. These parts aren't meant to work together, I would get a later style shifter that is meant for the later linkage and the billet pivot from ie.

I don't think the linkage looks bent but it's not straight because of all the washers.

Great thanks for the input. Will get one sorted.