What should I do with my doors?

Car is going to paint soon, and I’ll have to make a decision on my doors.  

Drivers side has some rust on the bottom seam which is poking through other side. 
CD575784-30B5-4537-B3B2-66335BA4DF50.jpeg
D7DA7FF9-213F-4D5E-B73E-02538EC31810.jpeg Passenger door a little better 

919E5A44-16CE-40DF-9C82-4F2CC0F6927E.jpeg

Should I ask body shop to repair? Get skins? or just get new doors?

I do have the original decal on the door which is nice. 
5C107D67-FAFF-4F18-9A08-A5B7146E050A.jpeg
Opinions welcome!

Also, found this on the bottom of my drivers door. Where do these belong?

733940EA-2791-4A9B-A6A5-B3506F2DC2C8.jpeg
Thanks! 
Vince

I would vote to reskin them, there's more rust than what's showing and it would be a shame to spend the money on a repaint and have the rust reappear in a year or two. I think the parts found are from a failed window regulator.

• Thanks 1

Those doors don't look bad, but you won't really know what to do until the paint is stripped off.  Is that part of the body shop's scope of work?  If they are stripping the car to bare metal, I would be inclined to get a paint remover that fits in a drill and do a little exploratory paint removal.

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, JLENHAM said:

Those doors don't look bad, but you won't really know what to do until the paint is stripped off.  Is that part of the body shop's scope of work?  If they are stripping the car to bare metal, I would be inclined to get a paint remover that fits in a drill and do a little exploratory paint removal.

Yes, going to strip down to metal and change color back to original Ceylon

Good idea to do some exploration, will give it a go and take some pics

Doors look close enough to fix IMO. The original door sticker is nice and adds value long term. I'm a fan of original metal wherever possible.

Depends on your goals of the car of course.

~JasonP

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming! 

Did some exploration, as suggested…. new pics hot off the press.

Looks like rust came in from the inside seam on the door. Not terrible. 

C95EB700-A688-4215-9849-BD252AA40CC1.jpeg
View from the outside

3E1A9CC2-4459-4329-8D3A-D7E805A91D08.jpeg

Looks like minimal filler

And finally the seam, which looks to have been filled by PO (with something metallic). Did a decent job a keeping rust at bay there.  
2F63CD1C-6465-430B-8217-8EA4F2FB5948.jpeg

I want to have a really nice restoration done that will last. 

So what say you know, 02 wizards? 

Maybe have the body shop give it a go? Bottom seam may never look right, but would hate to lose the original sticker and doors. 

The doors look very fixable by reskinning to me.  If done properly, it will be difficult to tell the seams are not original.  I had similar seam rust on my doors, though no perforation or bubbling, and had the lower portion reskinned when I had my car painted.  It turned out well.

20190115_110104 (2).jpg

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Jam3422 said:

The doors look very fixable by reskinning to me.  If done properly, it will be difficult to tell the seams are not original.  I had similar seam rust on my doors, though no perforation or bubbling, and had the lower portion reskinned when I had my car painted.  It turned out well.

20190115_110104 (2).jpg

+1

Vince,

I agree with @Jam3422. Based on your initial photo, I first thought that re-skinning — and, certainly, replacement — was not necessary. Your photo below, however, has me leaning toward a partial re-skinning, probably of the lower section solely. And I would treat each door as a separate issue: maybe one is simply a repair, the other is a partial re-skin. But you must dig out every last little drop of rust! Every last drop!

There is, of course, filler on the door you’ve sanded, and everything I’ve just said is subject to your additional findings once you reach bare metal — everywhere! 😯

Best regards,

Steve

C3F34877-6F53-489E-B73B-AA6A1683D4D7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the same issue, didn’t fix it when I should have and have a new door waiting to go on. I would get the lower door skin repair done, that whole lip seam will be full of rust, they will grind it clean and seal it before fitting the new piece, unfortunately it’s just the way they were made they trap moisture, I would make sure that area is well protected once painted, my good door is flooded with wax protection, I check and renew every couple of years as I live very near the ocean absolutely no rust on that one.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mvliotta said:

I want to have a really nice restoration done that will last.

Strip them down and dip them, as in take them to a metal dipper who will submerge them for a few days in a big tank of hot, caustic solution that removes some rust and neutralizes the rest,  paint, bondo, rubber, dirt are all dissolved away.  

It's the only way to get into the skin seams  without re skinning the door.

I have had the Local shop here do strut housings and fenders, They quoted me $125 each to do doors.

They even have a price list for 02s!

http://metaldipping.com/?page_id=2809

Yours dont look too bad.

you might be able to surgically remove the coveted door sticker with a hair dryer and really sharp, bendy blade but.... I think a solid door that doesn't sprout new rust bubbles after a short time is more valuable than any sticker

Epoxy primer applied to the properly treated door interior is also a must 

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

My past experience is:

- OEM doors fit better than AM doors. You see this in cars with AM doors where they are 1/4" proud at the rear lower corner. Twisting the door did not fix the problem. 

- Any bodywork ( plus skins) is going to cost $1000. minimum.   I believe OEM doors are $500 ea.  

- You can refuse OEM doors if they are damaged in shipping.

- There is no shipping as you pick up from the dealer.

- Brand new sheetmetal rocks!  Prep and spray.

Just putting it out here to keep me honest so maybe I'll get to it if enough people bug me about it: I've been thinking that a long enough container to submerge the lower edge of the door and trying electrolytic rust removal on those seams would make for an interesting experiment. I have everything I need to try it, only have to get the garage of my new house a little more organized and I'll give it a try. 

• Like 3