• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spits and Sputters from Dual Solex 40PHH's

2002#3

"What news?" (Hans)  Thanks for asking.

Still adjusting...  Changed max advance to ~34 or so and adjusted mixture screws ad nauseam to get a really steady and smooth idle (it likes 1,000 rpm the best.).  AFR hangs at 12.7-13 or so most of the time.  Accel pump causes a quick drop to 10 - then back up - as it should.  Still pulls dramatically strong and decels fine; however, still spits at ~2,300 w/ and w/out load.  Numerous sprays used...no leaks detected anywhere.  Air filters helped.

Waiting for real gaskets and to measure consistent thickness of spacers.  Idle jets on the way, too, if needed.  

Larry

Hans,

Spits w/ or w/o load, moving or not moving.  I have checked for leaks so many times that I'm done.  Brake cleaner, starter fluid, propane, etc.  No detectable leaks.  Thanks for putting up with me!

larry

1 hour ago, Jam3422 said:

Have you tried setting the idle at 2300 so that the lean condition is occurring, and then messing with the mixture screws to see if yo can isolate the problem to one barrel or carb?

I've never done that, but wouldn't adjusting the idle speed to 2300rpm take the carbs off the mixture circuit and the mixture screws wouldn't have any effect? My Solex books speak much the same as to a Weber tuning.  If you have to turn the mix screws out more than "x" turns, then one needs to change the pilot (idle) jetting.  

The PHHs on my 2000CS behaved similar to Larry's here... one size pilot jetting would idle very nicely and within spec to the number of turns out on the mix screws, but they would lean pop at part throttle.  I put in the next size pilot jets and turned the mix screws in and made it happy.  

I also believe today's fuels don't allow us to jet our carbs like manuals written 40 years ago might suggest...  My guess is if Larry installs the next size up pilot jet, he may solve his problem.

One last question I have for Larry... the engine is completely warmed up and it still spits? All jetting and tuning should be performed on an engine at operating temperature.  

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

On 6/1/2021 at 3:12 PM, 2002#3 said:
  • Spitting reproducible without load?  yes
  • What is between the carbs and the intake?  gasket, plastic spacer, gasket.  Gaskets are homemade and the spacers were sanded smooth while resting on a glass surface.  PHOTO
  • Shaft wear?  not detectable in any plane
  • Idle jets?  57.5
  • AFR @ problem?  range, 15-18; mostly, 16-18; occassionally hangs at, 17-18. 
  • AFR routine?  idle, 12.6, or so; cruise, 14.6 or so; WOT, drops appropriatelyto 10.5
  • Zip tie?  to assure 123 clips stay secure
  • 123 rotor?  came with the 123; good condition
  • Venturi size?  40/32
  • Which barrels spit?  warming up, all (very obvious but only for 1-2 min); idle and at problem rpm, all (cannot really feel with hand; hard to tell b/c so subtle)  NOTE:  #1 is the most common suspect.
  • Advance curve?  the best of the 100 I have tried is attached.  PHOTOS
  • Problem occurs with air cleaners?  Yes but dramatically reduced.  My air filter can is for a 2002CS and needs to be modified to use in this car. PHOTO

Content removed by Author.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 3:12 PM, 2002#3 said:
  • Spitting reproducible without load?  yes
  • What is between the carbs and the intake?  gasket, plastic spacer, gasket.  Gaskets are homemade and the spacers were sanded smooth while resting on a glass surface.  PHOTO
  • Shaft wear?  not detectable in any plane
  • Idle jets?  57.5
  • AFR @ problem?  range, 15-18; mostly, 16-18; occassionally hangs at, 17-18. 
  • AFR routine?  idle, 12.6, or so; cruise, 14.6 or so; WOT, drops appropriatelyto 10.5
  • Zip tie?  to assure 123 clips stay secure
  • 123 rotor?  came with the 123; good condition
  • Venturi size?  40/32
  • Which barrels spit?  warming up, all (very obvious but only for 1-2 min); idle and at problem rpm, all (cannot really feel with hand; hard to tell b/c so subtle)  NOTE:  #1 is the most common suspect.
  • Advance curve?  the best of the 100 I have tried is attached.  PHOTOS
  • Problem occurs with air cleaners?  Yes but dramatically reduced.  My air filter can is for a 2002CS and needs to be modified to use in this car. PHOTO

Content removed by Author.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

I like both of Slavs posts, just poking a little fun at ya, I'm not a Solex guy but they were fitted by factory and I don't think that BMW would release a car that wasn't optimized to run well, I would start tuning with the factory settings for your size engine and go from there then the changes should be minor.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks, Ed and Slavs. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts

I assumed my solexes were from a 2000CS b/c the linkage of the carbs looked like that of a 2000CS.  Is the linkage on an 1800ti the same?

Indeed, Ed, just like my wife, knows my problems and issues well - at least the Solex ones.  Next step at this point is wait for the real gaskets and jets of several sizes (while I was at it...) to arrive form Italy from Rocky/alfa1750 and then try some jets and monitor performance and AFR.

Ed, engine is always nice and warm when working on the carbs.

Larry

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpeg

IMG_0767.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

IMG_1558 2.jpeg

Slavs,

"So, what you seem to have...linkage from a 1600ti or2002ti."

Here's the story with the linkage.  It's a combo/mixture of '60's and '21.

When I purchased the car 2 years ago, the pedal-to-carbs linkage was a homemade job (PHOTOS 1 and 2).  Note the bent threaded rod, the welding job, the acorn nut, a overall fabrication.  I suppose someone did it to make these '60's Solexes fit and work with a '75 block and an '83 head.

I used a new pedal-to-carbs linkage designed to fit Webers (a great product made by FAQ'er Hal Boyles).  To connect the Boyles linkage to the carbs, I had to make major league changes (cutting bending, bolting, fabrication) to the throttle lever/arm of the front carb (PHOTOS 3, 4, and 5).  

Larry

Edited by 2002#3
Text Added