• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Swapped ‘76 2002, moving to CA...

LikeStig

Hi All,

I think I’m going to be moving to California in July and am trying to decide the best course of action for my 1976 BMW 2002. The car has been on jack stands for about 2 years while I had some troubles getting a replacement engine together. I’m nearly done installing a recently rebuilt Tii motor in my car. 

How difficult is it going to be to swap 1976 emission parts onto a Tii engine? Will they give me trouble for having an electric fuel pump? No hole on the Tii head for the mechanical fuel pump.

I feel like if I remove the Kfisch/belt/intake and swap over to a low pressure fuel pump I’m halfway there? I’d just need to acquire the emissions wiring loom with solenoids, install them and get the carb on a decent tune (I have an O2 sensor on the exhaust) I could get it passed every two years?

Looking for some direction on this. If anyone has the parts I need please feel free to message me.

Thank you,

Kyle

The short answer is NO.

While I'm no expert on anything, CA SMOG has it such that 1) you can't place an engine from an earlier car into a later car. Not that the smog tech-who likely was not even born when this car was new would know, It's more that the the smog equipment is designed for a carb and not injection. To further compound your problem, CA is not very friendly to out of state vehicles being brought into the state for the first time. They will make sure your car is 100% legit and non-modified.  

Others will of course give you their insights and tell you this that and the other, but a tii engine in a 76 aint gonna pass unless you live in one of the counties that are loose with the regulations and run just a tail sniffer.  

Let the CA SMOG hoo doo voo doo begin. 

• Like 1

But what do I know

For a 1976 if its federal you don't need the thermal reactor exhaust manifold. You will need the non tii lower timing cover, the smog system solenoids and wiring, the original 2 barrel manifold and carburetor or the hard to find weber carb with E.O. # tag. You also need the smog/air pump and associated parts.

They shouldn't care about the fuel pump since it's not really part of the smog system.

I have all the smog stuff I took off of my 1974 and some other smog stuff off of 75-76 cars. I probably have everything you need, message me for details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LikeStig said:

think I’m going to be moving to California in July and am trying to decide the best course of action for my 1976 BMW 2002.

Sell it and buy a earlier year 02, best way to get around that unfortunately timed, Orwellian CA bullshit rule.

A Tii engine with KF pump injection simply wont understand all the smog crap being bolted to it.

Or my personal favorite, dont move there?

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Forget it, sorry to be a bummer.....its brutal - you can run into the sh+t trying to get a new (or newish) car registered, let alone a bit of a frankeno2.  I had a friend with a tii engine in a 76 shell.  Awesome car, but back in those days you could get it registered - no way now to do that.  I would probably do the same if I were doing a street build, so long as I didn't live in CA.  They really don't want you to have a car here in California.  As I am sure you are aware it is a HIGHLY regulated (and taxed) state.  Best of luck to you moving here, quite a few folks (like myself) are working on getting the hell out of here.

Your only hope is to do what I think you are suggesting, finding a smogged 76 engine and transplant it.  Best of luck with the car and your move.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tech71 said:

Sell it and buy a earlier year 02, best way to get around that unfortunately timed, Orwellian CA bullshit rule.

+1.  From what I've heard and read, even out here in the Midwest hinterlands, we know about CA and the smog nazis.  Any year '02 but a '76 and you'd be set.  A 76, forget it.  Until they change the rules, which will be....NEVER.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, LikeStig said:

Hi All,

I think I’m going to be moving to California in July and am trying to decide the best course of action for my 1976 BMW 2002.

Thank you,

Kyle

Best course of action find the right smog station and buy a smog for 200.00.

Go to DMV with the smog it will be sent when you pass get a vin verify and pay for registration, simple.

• Sad 1

Having worked for the California Smog Referee I can tell you it's not that hard to register an out of state car. You need the cars title and last registration, proof of insurance, smog certificate, VIN verification, fill out a few forms and pay all the fees. All can be done in one day if you make an appointment at the DMV.

Another option is swap in a newer engine and take it to a smog referee and have it B.A.R. certified. You might even be able to get away with just swapping the fuel injection system from a 1984-85 e30 m10 318i.

I don't like or agree with the whole California Smog check system, but it's not that bad if you know how to work with it instead of against it. It's a lot like the gun laws, they are written by people that don't understand how they work. It started with good intentions but has just become another government funding source.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LikeStig said:

How difficult is it going to be to swap 1976 emission parts onto a Tii engine? Will they give me trouble for having an electric fuel pump? No hole on the Tii head for the mechanical fuel pump.

It's not possible for a 76 to be a Tii in the eyes of Smog Test Station's 

Really your best bet is to find a "Friendly" Smog station and be prepared for something up to $400 every other year, which is still WAY cheaper than a older 2002 at current market pricing  

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

7 hours ago, chargin said:

Really your best bet is to find a "Friendly" Smog station

So what do you do? Drive around and get estimates on who is more willing to falsify records??

Sounds like Germany where annual vehicle inspections are mandatory for everyone. The right inspection station/inspector would be "lenient" for a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Theres still CA DMV to deal with.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Best way around this is keep it registered out of state and avoid smog all together. Got friends where you’re moving from? Register it with there address keep the out of state plates on it. 

Edited by CoastalCrush
  • Like 2

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

I had an 87 MBZ 190-16v for many years here - loved that car.  Even when it was new, it barely passed smog, over the years they have ratcheted down the regulations to the point where I just couldn't get it passed in any longer.  It lives in Maine now.  Like I said, they DO NOT want old cars on the road (or really cars, or roads....as crazy as that sounds, its true).  Golden state - not I agree.  Its going to get really fugly in the upcoming years sorry to say and I mean that.  Parents lived here the entire lives, I have as well.  Income earners are leaving, takers are comin' in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bob02 said:

You might want to consider moving one state north, especially if you're working class...Golden state my ass.

As I always say-and you can borrow this quote; " CA is summarized as 2 million people holding 30 million people hostage" 

• Like 1

But what do I know

Living in California means choosing the path of least resistance.

Sometimes the options are not so great but the smog/dmv thing is not that hard.

Finding someone qualified to govern the state now that's hard. Let me know if you want to dump your 76.

Now back to bashing California....

180808123821-caitlyn-jenner-medium-plus-169.jpg

200326170801-02-gavin-newsom-file-2019-medium-plus-169.jpg

• Haha 2