3 hours ago, 0257 said:

Are there shims for this that we could put on before the flange?

Not as far as I know.

3 hours ago, 0257 said:

Are there 3 bolt flanges of different depths?  

Probably, The 245 and 240 output flanges have different PNs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

File this away in For What It's Worth:  all guibos are not the same.  I found that the Febi/Bilkstein fits without interference with the selector rod and the Meyle hits it.  1 other thing I learned du

That's what's great about light twin aircraft, you loose one engine and the other one will take you all the way to the crash site. Sorry a old aviation joke.

I've attached pics and measurements of the 320i trans / Guibo flanges. The two taller ones, one a 4 hole, the other a 3 hole are from 245 / 5 transmissions rescued from salvage yards 20 years ago. I d

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Slavs said:

I had a similar problem with a 3 bolt flange on a 245 /5 where it sat too deep and bolts were making contact with the trans housing or something. I replaced the 3 bolt flange with another similar one. I think there may be different sizes as far as dept. I have one laying around in my garage from a 245 / 5. I’ll measure it’s collar.

Appreciate that.  I feel that has to be the answer, though I note the diagrams I have seen in RealOEM for the 245/2/4 all show a very shallow collared flange like mine. See part no. 7 on the attached: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1733-USA-02-1982-E21-BMW-320i&diagId=23_0700

FAQer Bill Hayes was nice enough to fly me up to VA for a transmission swap last week.

That is, we loaded my suspect 245 into the cargo compartment of his Twin Comanche and returned with a known good 245.

... With the wrong flange.

Chris is supposed to be mailing my old flange back to me.

😜

4 minutes ago, ray_ said:

FAQer Bill Hayes was nice enough to fly me up to VA for a transmission swap last week.

That is, we loaded my suspect 245 into the cargo compartment of his Twin Comanche and returned with a known good 245.

😜

Waiting with bait-like breath to hear more.

10 minutes ago, xavier296 said:

I have a 245 sitting on a shelf, I can measure depth also if needed.

Xavier, good to hear from you.  If I don’t get Zouave back on the road we’ll never fun the coast roads around here together.  It would be great if you can take that flange to cover measurement. 

21 minutes ago, xavier296 said:

Hopefully we can make that drive happen!

I'll measure after work today, as I am no longer in the privileged few who work from home.

Look at the bright side: your commute supports the gasoline economy that makes our shared habit possible.😄

12 hours ago, ray_ said:

😜

Ray, I saw Chris on Friday and he said someone had flown up to buy his 245...didn't realize it was you.  He's a great!!

1 hour ago, MurphinDC said:

Ray, I saw Chris on Friday and he said someone had flown up to buy his 245...didn't realize it was you.  He's a great!!

Small world! Ha! 

Cheers,

2 hours ago, xavier296 said:

Hopefully we can make that drive happen!

I'll measure after work today, as I am no longer in the privileged few who work from home.

Look at the bright side: your commute supports the gasoline economy that makes our shared habit possible.😄

I have been doing more homework, and I note (based on this faq post:) that there are at least two part numbers for the 3 bolt flange for a 320i 245/2/4. They are: 

So far these are just hits in RealOem.  In the RealOem diagrams they look identical.  Bc I was searching by part number (based on a faq post) I am not sure why I get the two different descriptions for what appears to be the same transmission.  But I know build years and even production runs may have been different.