Reproduction rubber hoop covers for 1973 US bumpers

First off, let me make the disclaimer that I am writing this as a PSA for the benefit of the greater good of our hobby.  I do not have a financial stake in this venture, nor am I being compensated in any way shape or form for sharing this information.  I just wanted to pass it along because I stumbled into exactly what I was looking for, and I suspect many of you may also be interested in this.

Late last year, I started searching for a decent set of replacements for the rubber pieces that cover the "hoop" that is the 2.5mph impact absorber on the 1973 US rear bumpers.   BMW part numbers for these items are:

These have been NLA for some time and as the factory parts are made from a rubber compound, finding a used set that is not deteriorated beyond use is difficult.  I did some research into having these re-manufactured by a local plastic molding contractor, and I also replied to a post by Stan Chamallas who had indicated hat he was getting a lot of requests to reproduce them.  As I looked further into local options, I actually ran across someone that had the tooling already set up and is now making these up using 3D printer technology.   I ordered up a set of these, and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of the materials, and the fit and finish.  They are very close to an exact duplicate of the original BMW part in appearance and measure.   They installed as a perfect fit and from a foot or two away they totally look like the OEM part. At $300 a pair they are NOT cheap, but not crazy considering that I paid $100 for a pair of marginally useable ones I found on eBay.  If these kinds of details matter and your going for a concours restoration, or like me just don't ant your nicely repainted hoops to get all rusty and crusty again in 10 years, its worth it IMHO.  

As you can see from the comparison pictures the new parts look just like the OEM ones.  The finish is flat black with a very finely grained texture.  On the side of the covers that bolt between the hoops and the back panel of the car, you can detect almost a "woodgrain" texture where the 3D media is built up at the end of the object printout.  These don't look like they came out of blow mold, but as 3D printed parts with multiple contours and shapes go, these parts are better made than anything I've seen. 

Time will tell how they hold up to the elements.  My car is garage kept and not exposed to much really bad weather, but I do drive it frequently. so I'll be happy to provide feedback on how these puppies age over time.   For right now I can highly recommend them    

Anyone interested in ordering a set of these, you can contact NLA BMW Parts: https://nlabmwparts.com/    These covers are the only product they sell so far, but the owner Nick has indicated that he's very interested in considering anything else that people are in demand of.

I hope this information is helpful.  As I said, I'm just posting this to share.  But feel free to PM me if anyone has questions.  

Notes on the pictures:

• First full width shot is my cars rear bumper showing the hoops without covers
  • Left and right side shots of my car show hoops with the covers installed
  • Pictures on concrete floor are examples of the original covers (these are the ones I found on eBay)
  • Pictures on wood table are the new replacement covers.

P.S. In addition to fitting roundies that use the loop mount bumpers, I believe they are also applicable to E9 Coupes of the same vintage.  So feel free to pass this along to anyone who has one.

1. BMW 1973 2002 bumper bracket without covers .jpg

20210429_143505.jpg

20210429_143511.jpg

BMW 1969-1973 2002 rear bumper IPB diagram.jpg

BMW 1969-1973 2002 rear bumper IPB list.jpg

BMW 1973 2002 bumper bracket covers (back).jpg

BMW 1973 2002 bumper bracket covers (reverse top).jpg

Pair from top.jpg

Pass side bottom.jpg

Pass side top.jpg

• Like 2

I've cherished my covers for over 30 years and keep them secure when the bumper is off the car.  Too valuable to lose.

Thanks for the heads up.  Nice to know there's a source.   

I have pondered making a reproduction but injection molding requires high volumes and 3D printing is too slow and demands a high selling price.

Another idea is to cut and assemble a number of rubber pieces with rubber glue to replicate the original.  Rubber "cement" works very well, although not original.  Still, it may be the best alternative as only the top surface is visible. 

If a person made 100 sets + you could sell them easily and at a reasonable price.  @esty?

• Like 1

Presumably the reproductions don't have the molded-in steel insert that reinforces the bolt holes.  When the steel rusts--which it inevitably does--it helps with the part's disintegration.  Glad they're being reproduced.  My carefully preserved ones won't last forever, so it's nice to know there's an alternative.

1 hour ago, HBChris said:

I wish these would fit an e3 or e9 but they have a curved end that the bigger cars don’t have.

Wonder if the curved end on the '02 part could be cut off so that it would fit the sixes....

mike

51 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Presumably the reproductions don't have the molded-in steel insert that reinforces the bolt holes.  When the steel rusts--which it inevitably does--it helps with the part's disintegration.  Glad they're being reproduced.  My carefully preserved ones won't last forever, so it's nice to know there's an alternative.

Wonder if the curved end on the '02 part could be cut off so that it would fit the sixes....

mike

Hi Mike -  I hadn't thought of that, but no they don't have the molded in steel reinforcements.   From what I've seen, this is an area of the car where surface rust just always seems to creep in over time, so hopefully that means the covers will end up lasting longer.   

Good question about the possibility of just cutting off the ends to fit an E3 or E9.  If that's the only difference it seems feasible.   

Hey all! Nick from NLA BMW Parts here. 

Glad that your covers are looking good @Crash513! If anyone has questions about them, feel free to drop a note in this thread and I'll do my best to get back. 

10 hours ago, HBChris said:

I wish these would fit an e3 or e9 but they have a curved end that the bigger cars don’t have.

@HBChris - drop me an email at parentemobile@gmail.com. If you (or anyone else) is willing to send over original versions for us to 3D model, we should be able to easily make these. Cost would probably be similar to the 02 versions. 

Lastly, if anyone has any other parts they can't seem to find - feel free to fill in the details on this form and we'll see if its something we can make cost-effective! https://nlabmwparts.com/pages/submit-a-part 

PS: I also have to give a big shoutout to @adawil2002 for being our guinea pig for the original models of these! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1