Plz Help Int. Regulator Alt. Wiring

Hello all, I am trying to install an internally regulated alternator on my CA 76 and cannot get it to charge, I have both of the small blue wires that were connected to the ext. voltage regulator connected to the big blue wire that went to D+ but I can only get the L light (dummy light) to come on if I use the D- or DF my grounds are good, but I feel like I am missing something, because I can’t get any voltage readings over 12.3 at any RPM. 

4E389A65-35AA-4E5A-B3A1-D6BCCAC0338C.jpeg

6F9B2F39-2CAD-451B-A3C5-CC173FA1A99E.jpeg

7AC8FFAD-C3D2-415A-9AE1-7DA06200FB5A.jpeg

Where are these two blue wires originating? You need to have only one blue wire from your instrument panel connected to D+ (originally connected to your 02 voltage regulator) on your new alternator. P.S.: that socket on the back of your new alternator looks just like an original 02 alt plug. What model alt is that?

9 hours ago, Chris_B said:

... that socket on the back of your new alternator looks just like an original 02 alt plug. What model alt is that?...

+1

Are you certain that model has an internal voltage regulator?

Regards,

Steve

That alternator looks like it doesn't have internal regulation- It doesn't have the appearance of the Bosch "style" internally regulated units, which have the regulator part visible

(random internet photo to show the regulator near the bottom, marked "EL 14V", ignore the other details)

Reyhan Blog: Bosch Alternator El 14v 4c

My rookie mistake when installing an internally regulated alternator was to ignore the need for a ground lead to the alternator- it does absolutely nothing to charge the battery without a ground. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Are you certain that model has an internal voltage regulator?

+1, +1!

You should not have a plug and socket for the D+, D1, and DF terminals on an internally regulated alternator.

Only 3 connections needed for internal VR: 

1)  B+ (big red) to  battery +

2) Ground (big brown)

3) Blue wire to charge light on instrument pod (pin#12.

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello all you FAQers, thank you so much for your insights, especially John76, My cheap autozone alternator is not internally regulated!

I wired the external voltage regulator up and now I’m charging.  

B31BE0CC-D792-49FF-8143-224B5CE76554.jpeg

• Like 2

Hopefully, you still have the black regulator plug that went into the back of the alternator that those wires came out of. Or, at the very least, insulate the spade connectors at the alternator back to keep them from shorting to ground (major fire and light show potential). Your last picture looks like the red wire is just pushed back in w/o plug or insulation around it. Keep asking questions, there's a lot of good info/help on this site.