I’m starting to rebuild the original engine for my ‘72 Tii.  I just noticed a broken piece just below the timing belt cover.  What should look like?  I can’t find an image of that area.

A1B88803-88FC-4FAC-AEF0-2DB30830C131.jpeg

Tom,

That’s the early-style cover with the integrated alternator mount. The style was quickly superseded by a cover that accommodated a separate alternator mount. Why? Because the integrated mounts broke off, or the mounting holes for the alternator became worn and oversize... 😗

Even with my... appreciation for originality, I would probably use the later style cover going forward: that’s what the dealers generally did once the problem reared its head. Fifty years later, these aluminum covers are likely even more prone to failure at those original points.

I do believe the old integrated bracket can sometimes be cut off and ground flush, enabling you to re-use the old cover with the new independent mount.

Below, borrowed from @PaulTWinterton, is an early-style cover with the complete bracket.

Best regards,

Steve

03ADD53B-7243-44C7-ACE7-3C7C6BA76904.png

• Like 2
4 hours ago, tomphot said:

Thanks Steve, I’m buying the one pictured above from Paul.  Here is mine now that I have it off. 

9097D7E1-D87C-4CE0-B687-C9CC2CB3BAAF.jpeg

So, the original cover was cast October 1971 — for a tii manufactured January 1972. Thanks for indulging me, Tom!

Best regards,

Steve