Hi all, 

I really don’t want to believe that I may have gotten ripped off so maybe you all can help clarify. I had a mechanic I know and trust install new shocks/strut inserts/springs on my car. I supplied all the parts and delivered to him. He did the work and I did see the new shocks in the rear and the new springs all around. However because the front struts are in the factory housings, I’m not sure what’s going on in there. Everything had been ok for a few months, but today on my drive home I heard  a clunking sound near the right front of the car. I kicked some things around and couldn’t find anything loose or worn, but driving over uneven terrain or bumps caused a metallic sounding clunk in the front right of the car. Then, I popped the hood and started compressing each side’s suspension with my weight to see how it would sound. Low and behold, as I compress the right front strut under my weight, it makes a metallic clunking sound as it compresses and decompresses. Is there any way I can check to see if he put the new strut insert into the housing without taking it all apart?  I would hate to accuse him of not installing and charging me for labor to install as well as stealing a part that I supplied, but I am worried. Maybe he did install and it’s a defective strut?  Any advice is appreciated. 

thanks

-kendall

I would look at the front strut shafts under the rubber boots to see if they look new. 

What struts did it have before? and what new ones did you give to the mechanic? What springs?

I would take it back to the mechanic that installed them and have them drive it and look at it and see what they say. Atleast give them a chance to fix it before you start assuming and accusing.

Its possible the top gland nut has come loose allowing the cartridge to move in the housing, someone recently had this exact issue. It could also be something else in the suspension that you didn't replace becoming the new weakest link, like the ball joint or strut tophat.

To prevent any questions in the future ask for your old parts back from the mechanic.

• Like 5
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

I would look at the front strut shafts under the rubber boots to see if they look new. 

What struts did it have before? and what new ones did you give to the mechanic? What springs?

I would take it back to the mechanic that installed them and have them drive it and look at it and see what they say. Atleast give them a chance to fix it before you start assuming and accusing.

Its possible the top gland nut has come loose allowing the cartridge to move in the housing, someone recently had this exact issue. It could also be something else in the suspension that you didn't replace becoming the new weakest link, like the ball joint or strut tophat.

To prevent any questions in the future ask for your old parts back from the mechanic.

Good advice thank you. I will definitely give him a chance to troubleshoot it. I’ll upload a pic of the strut shafts, but they look a little dirty, maybe just from driving though?  The old struts were factory I believe and the new ones are koni yellows.  Also the springs are H&r sports

Edited by larryscastle
Clarification
Posted (edited)

2002iii is right you payed for the work give the guy a chance to fix it, probably something just came loose.

I was just thinking along the lines of people doing their work, even though you said right off the bat you had it installed.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

The strut housing has a threaded cover holding down the main strut body in the housing. There is a hole in the cover for the telescopic section. That cover must be tightened completely, otherwise the strut body will bounce around in there resulting in that metallic clunk every time you drive over a bump or uneven surface. Your cover is probably only partially tightened. To check, jack up the car and remove the wheel. Use channel locks to tighten the cover completely. You can do this through the spring as long as the car is jacked up and no weight is resting on the spring. You don't have to remove the spring. It's an easy fix. If you don't work on cars, any mechanic or tire shop can do this in 5 minutes.

This happened to me once after I replaced my struts. I didn't tighten the cover completely, and it was driving me crazy for weeks until I figured out what was happening.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 3

If the Koni's are like the Bilstein's the strut shaft should be a lot thicker than the original ones, imagine the diameter of a quarter vs a dime. 

Also with the H&R springs, it could be the spring moving around when uncompressed.

Could also be sway bar bushings that have compressed or crumbled.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

As everyone else has said... check your gland nuts. 

I did the same thing to myself when I did my suspension. Went on a big road trip and in some twisties above Grenoble I thought the front end was gunna fall off. 

After some road-side fretting I noticed the gland nut was loose on one side and was able to hand tighten it, then get a screw driver/hammer into the wheel well to tap-tap-tap it tight it the rest of the way. 

Haven't touched it since! 

Edited by 2002Scoob