Posted (edited)

Because I'm curious....

I shared this in the "what did you do to your 02' thread, but I'm curious about other's thoughts and insights. 

I disassembled my steering column covers and removed my MOMO hub in order to ensure concentricity of the horn-ring to the steering shaft. 

Well, I fixed that problem, but noticed something I hadn't before. My control stalks aren't level??  Or rather, the plate to which they mount isn't level.

What gives BMW? Where's your German Precision?!

IMG_2371.JPG

Gaaaaah. It bothers me so. It's all back together now, but just knowing it's like that underneath is just driving me crazy. 

Also, like literally just as I'm writing this...  I've never noticed, or cared to notice or question what the heck that little red light is at the bottom right corner of my gauge cluster....

Like...seriously. Did someone install that over the winter just to mess with me?...  How bizarre

But that's not why I'm here... I'll look into that later. 

BACK ON TOPIC. Is there a way to adjust the angle of the outer tube of the steering column? At first glance it appears to be permanently clamped/fixed from the factory, with the clamping hardware post-machined to be non remove-able. 

IMG_2370.JPG

It's not the end of the world If I can't fix it. 

And honestly... I'm not sure I'm going to take things apart if I can. Because I got the horn working and I'm too lazy for that shit. 

But that stupid little red light..... How did I not notice you over the last 7 years of staring at you... WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE!?!?!?!?! HOW DID YOU GET THERE?!

Edited by 2002Scoob

4 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

The little red light is a add on

I googled '02 gauge cluster' and spent long enough that thats what I'm thinking too.... 

I do have fogs, and my car when purchased was a bit 'special'. Well.... it's special now, but in good ways, not, well thats 'special.  The fogs were just bolted to the bumper, with wires running to behind the grill attached to nothing. 

They're now wired to the green button that also did nothing on the center console. So now they both have a purpose. 

UNLIKE THAT RED LIGHT...

Maybe a PO had an alarm on the car and that was the security blinky. 

Scoob - Maybe your steering column's been removed? Also check ff those control mounts on either side are slotted... I think you can 'correct' some of it...should you be bothered again.

I went out to look and took a pic, as your post got me curious... ;P

My 76 has much less tilt, but it does have a small one (less than 2 degrees).  The swivel-endpoints of my two control stalks are pretty close to level with each other, but the left is a tad lower.

My left signal stalk extends out almost level in the middle position (looks slightly down due to cam angle).

My right wiper stalk extends slightly upward from horizontal in the bottom-most (off) position (though is looks horizontal in the pic).

Tom-too

ps: where do the remaining wires (if any) lead from your extra HAL light?

Hub Controls Angle Lessthan2deg.jpg

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

Scoob - Maybe your steering column's been removed?

I've learned anything is possible with this car :) ha. What's your thinking there? 

I didn't apply any application of force to see if the tube could be twisted within the casting. Just by the look of the lengths BMW went to make it non-adjustable, I'd assume it's position is fixed. 

Also check ff those control mounts on either side are slotted..

Yep, I checked that out too, because with the new alloy lower cover the blinker would bottom out against it when signaling left, and wasn't able to drop into it's lowest position so as to hold there. There wasn't any freedom of adjustment by loosening the stalks mounting screws, so I opted to take a Dremel and extend the opening a few mm lower to allow the stalk to have extra clearance as-is. 

If it weren't for the cock-eyed mounting of the mounting plate,  I have no doubt it would've cleared without modification. 

ps: where do the remaining wires (if any) lead from your extra HAL light?

Ha!  no clue.... In the beginning of my ownership I'd had the gauge cluster out a number of times to fix things like burned out bulbs, a non-functioning odometer, etc. and I don't remember any errant wires or even acknowledging it's existence till now... 

Who knows. 

I will have to get back in there at some point in the near future. My center console has a bit of slop and jiggle that I'd like to take care of- something isn't holding it in as securely as it used to, or i'd like it to be- which will necessitate pulling everything apart down there. Might even make it a next weekend's projects!

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:
2 hours ago, visionaut said:

Scoob - Maybe your steering column's been removed?

I've learned anything is possible with this car :) ha. What's your thinking there? 

Just thinking aloud...  Maybe there's some give in the fixing assembly down there. Or something's bent..  Your whole upper column assembly looks to be tilted counterclockwise too much.

Maybe your lower column bracket was installed reversed.  IIRC, the lower bracket/clamp is a bent beam, with an angle on one side.  So if reversed, it might cause a tilted shaft upon bolting up?

Or since your lock assy might be changed, perhaps it not the same thickness as prior ?  The upper mounting bolts run through the lock assy. So maybe those bolts aren't seating plane?

If all else fails, and yours is still too tilted, maybe it's possible to shim one side of the upper and/or lower column mounting bolts to correct for it?  

Others with more familiarity/experience will have better ideas..

Can you slot those breakaway bolts with a dremmel tool and use a screw driver to loosen them? They are not all that tight usally, I've removed the with a ez, out but that wouldn't let you tighten then up again.

29 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Can you slot those breakaway bolts with a dremmel tool and use a screw driver to loosen them? They are not all that tight usally, I've removed the with a ez, out but that wouldn't let you tighten then up again.

You can usually use a chisel and punch to spin them out. You can get new breakaway bolts Here.

• Like 1

Your car is a squarelight, with the turn signal lever on the left side; if you're using a diecast steering column surround (vs the plastic ones used from mid-1972 on, when the factory went to an automatic choke carb), it's slotted for the turn signal lever to be the on the right side; IIRC the right side opening on the diecast surrounds is just a little larger than the one on the left (the dimmer switch on roundies).  So a little artistry with a Dremel tool is probably the best solution.  Also, the your pictures, the left side stalk is rotated counter-clockwise from where it should be.  the diecast switch housing (and not necessarily the lever) should be horizontal, not as pictured.  The slots in the mounting flange on the steering column have enough room to adjust both levers. 

mike

• Like 2

All astute observations. :)

Side note, those bolts are COOL!

image.png

That now makes allot more sense on how they work. By the look of the ones in there, I thought bolts were installed, and then they post-machined them to be non-removeable. That they have a shear-feature is pretty interesting! Learn somethin' new every day. 

I'm going to just live with it for now as I have the last 6-7 years. 

I did loosen up the mounting screws to try and rotate the blinker stalk clockwise for more clearance to the aluminium column surround but there was none to be had, so instead of elongating the holes I opted to just modify the cover. 

Perhaps next time I'm in there I'll order a pair and correct their alignment. 

I wonder if you could put a block of wood up under the low side of the piece that the stalks mount to and give it a couple whacks upward with a (fairly heavy) hammer to make it rotate.  Or, whack it down on the other side.  Maybe the clamp isn't all that tight. 

Tom

• Like 1