Pro-Tips? Pedal Box Carpet Removal Tips

Hey everyone, I've scoured the archives for specific tips on removing carpet around the pedal box.

I have have a '75 with original 1 piece carpet-and it's in decent enough shape that I'd like to preserve/reinstall it as I attack a clutch MC replacement project. The car had an auto to 5spd conversion at some point so the carpet is loose around the pedal box,  but it's still not easy to simply pull back at the edges. Any hidden screws or clips I should be aware of? Assuming that removing most of the under-dash panels is necessary to facilitate easier removal.

Thanks!

I can't think of any screws holding that one-piece carpet in place; if there are, they'll be under the finisher panels below the dash, or on the cowl sides up under the dash, near the hood release handle.

If you don't have A/C, removing the console (a couple of screws and disconnect the radio and emergency flasher) will give you much more "fold-back" ability to access the pedal box without taking a chance on ripping the carpet.

Or you could always buy a nice multi-piece carpet from Esty 😀.

mike

1 hour ago, arban79 said:

Hey everyone, I've scoured the archives for specific tips on removing carpet around the pedal box.

I have have a '75 with original 1 piece carpet-and it's in decent enough shape that I'd like to preserve/reinstall it as I attack a clutch MC replacement project. The car had an auto to 5spd conversion at some point so the carpet is loose around the pedal box,  but it's still not easy to simply pull back at the edges. Any hidden screws or clips I should be aware of? Assuming that removing most of the under-dash panels is necessary to facilitate easier removal.

Thanks!

I wonder if someone glued it down, or if, in an attempt to fix rust or whatever, it’s adhered to rust remover, paint, undercoating, insulation....

I’d get under it with a putty knife and slowly work it loose. The factory square taillight one-piece carpet is pretty junky, but it fits perfectly dimensionally and stylistically. I took my ‘76’s original carpet to an carpet cleaner and repairer and had them clean and repair it. Although it has some fading on the driveline tunnel, it looks great today!

The carpet is generally dated on the reverse.

The first photo shows the carpet after I first removed it, before cleaning and repairs. The second photo shows the April 12, 1976 manufacturing date (“12. 4. 76”); my ‘76 was manufactured April 23, 1976. The third photo shows, well... sort of, the carpet today.

Regards,

Steve

447A4056-804D-4A0C-98FB-121919FCABC0.jpeg

3B44DD94-66EC-4D9B-ACF3-8ECB1D006447.jpeg

3C891A8C-B2A0-4EB0-BD56-8EB8A9512914.jpeg