• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE/Wilwood Track Pad Experience

bento

After a few years of tracking other cars, I’m planning to return the 2002 to the track in a few weeks. The IE kit came with Wilwood pads, so I selected BP30 from, and BP20 rear. Car is essentially full weight (~2600lbs wit driver and full of fuel)and is turbocharged to around 250 wheel HP. I’ll be running RE-71R to start. Depending on the club, I run in the instructor group or with a fast solo group.

Some questions;

-Are the BP30/BP20 up for the job? I can’t find much from anyone on any platform using these, which is probably telling...
-Looks like Hawk, G-Loc, and Stoptech offer a few front compounds and at least one (street/light track) rear compound for the 7816/DR22 front, and D340 rear pad shapes. Ferodo offers the DS2500 and 3000, and PFC11 is available. Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with any of these on my primary track car, a 2018 M2. Any relevant experience?

I’m planning to take the 2002 to a few track days in May, and want to be prepared with extra pads. Hoping a few of you have some experience, good or bad, on a 2002 or maybe a stripped E30.

on the M2, my current favorite pad is the Ferodo 3.12, but I’ve also run Pagid RSL1, RSL29, PFC08., which held up fine, but I didn’t love the bite or release of any of them.

Oh, and I’ll run Castrol SRF fluid.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I have used Ferodo ds2500 and ds3000 pads. Both are good, ds3000 has a bit more bite but works pretty well from cold (10-15 C deg temps). I have used ds3000 pads for years.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

8 hours ago, tzei said:

I have used Ferodo ds2500 and ds3000 pads. Both are good, ds3000 has a bit more bite but works pretty well from cold (10-15 C deg temps). I have used ds3000 pads for years.

Thanks Tzei. That’s good to hear.

On the (F87) M2, the ds2500 is seen as a street pad to compliment the DS1.11 or 3.12, and the DS3000 is sort of in no man’s land. Wasn’t sure if the 1200lb weight difference would bump them up a class or two on the 2002. Sounds like it does based on your experience.

Would love to get a couple more data points, but sounds like these are a good option.

Brent

5 minutes ago, wheelieking said:

@bento, when/when are you planning those days May?  It would be fun to go watch that turbo in action if I'm in the area. 

May 14 with Hooked On Driving, then May 15 and 16 with Audi Club. That’s a lot, so I plan to trailer it, and have the M2 at home ready to go, just in case. :)

All at The Ridge in Shelton. Not sure whether spectators are allowed yet. The tracks have generally only allowed participants for the last year.

Brent

i run Performance Friction PF 01/11 pads on my "original" M2 with wilwood calipers.  it is a sprint racing compound that has no issues running in the instructor group with the S14.  I also run them in my E30 and E36 race cars.  i run 40TW race tires.

for a more forgiving option, the PF 08 endurance racing pad is a good choice.  a touch slower TQ ramp up that may save a tire from a flat spot and be more appropriate for the street tires you are using.

• Like 1

2xM3

1 hour ago, M2M3 said:

i run Performance Friction PF 01/11 pads on my "original" M2 with wilwood calipers.  it is a sprint racing compound that has no issues running in the instructor group with the S14.  I also run them in my E30 and E36 race cars.  i run 40TW race tires.

for a more forgiving option, the PF 08 endurance racing pad is a good choice.  a touch slower TQ ramp up that may save a tire from a flat spot and be more appropriate for the street tires you are using.

Thanks Marshall. I didn’t see the 08 in the pad shapes I need, but I’ll dig around some more. I thought they were a decent pad on a heavier car. I kind of assumed the 11 would be too much on the RE71, but included it for completeness.

I plan to drive to and from the track most of the time, and still have some chassis sorting to do for anything more aggressive than a 200TW tire.

Edited by bento

Brent