Just another buy and drive across country

Hello all,

I’ve been chatting with a few members here about buying a 2002 in Michigan and driving it to La Jolla SD. 

Well after a lot of consideration, and weeks of changing my mind, I’ve decided to go for it. Pics below. Many of you have seen this one on eBay. Here

My wife and I flew into Michigan and had the seller (Bill) meet me at the airport. This was purchased sight unseen. Nerves were high, but there it was, sitting in the parking lot of the Big Boy outside of Detroit Metro. 

We fired it up, got a lesson on all the quirks, and drove to Ann Arbor to pick up my brother. 

I’ll be posting here regularly as we make our way across the country if people are interested. Mostly, I’m nervous about having a mechanical that I can’t fix. Hoping this community could help me out if something goes wrong. 

After a morning of testing, We’re headed to Peoria for the first big leg of the trip. 

update soon

BA4C11AB-6DED-4A23-A8EC-E3D5134B9B70.jpeg

F360A86C-17E8-4D53-8CC7-9491C16F94AB.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all,   I’ve been chatting with a few members here about buying a 2002 in Michigan and driving it to La Jolla SD.    Well after a lot of consideration, and weeks of changing my m

Steve, thank you for that. We started off poorly. The metal cover for the transmission went missing and the throttle was crunchy and unusable. We went to a Lowes in Grand Junction and shopped around t

We made it to Peoria without issue! 356 miles down. It’s so damn fun, but I have a little anxiety at all times.    Thank you, Mike, I’m hoping not to need any help, but the support here makes m

Posted Images

Nice looking car.  My friend Jim did something similar a few years ago, buying a '73 in Denver and driving it back (sans problems) to Dayton.  And I bought an E30 318is in Sarasota and drove it home to Dayton a few years ago--my only worry was that I was on badly worn summer tires and doing the trip in February.  Fortunately no snow or even rain or it would have been a far more exciting trip.  

Good luck with your drive, and don't forget there are lots of FAQers out there if you need to call for help or advice.

mike

• Like 2

We made it to Peoria without issue! 356 miles down. It’s so damn fun, but I have a little anxiety at all times. 

Thank you, Mike, I’m hoping not to need any help, but the support here makes me feel a lot better. 

F03168A5-BC69-4289-9887-1190E25A134F.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice car. You know with all the members here you can always give a shout out to someone on the board in the area to do a PPI on the car.---Next time---- It's worked for me in the past. 

dlm ny country

Edited by dlmrun2002

Pretty car, and epic trip!

I hope it continues to perform as good as it looks!

The wiper squirters are missing in the pics btw.

... That seller has peddled some polished turds on eBay in the past. Wish you good luck!

Cheers,

I like the older rear bumper, no lower trim, removed side lights and Ansa center exhaust. I did the exact same thing. Great minds...good luck with the trip and enjoy the car!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, irdave said:

In Fort Collins, Colorado if you need anything or just want to stop.

970 to two too 9597

From the pictures the car looks awesome.  Congratulations.

Thank you! We’ll be rolling through tomorrow or Wednesday. On the open plains today fighting the wind gusts. 

Things found today. 1) A small drip from the oil pan screw

2) seemingly inordinate amount of slack in the throttle linkage, good chunk of the accelerator pedal movement is eaten up. 3) wind noise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, T-Mo said:

2) seemingly inordinate amount of slack in the throttle linkage, good chunk of the accelerator pedal movement is eaten up. 3) wind noise!

(2)  easily adjusted; look at the accelerator linkage under the hood, and you will find the vertical rod is threaded on its upper end and thus adjustable.  That's how you take the slack out.  But first make sure the accelerator pedal itself hasn't come adrift from the two ball/sockets at its base, and that the return spring is properly attached so it isn't rubbing against the heater hose..  

(3) get used to it.  Most of the noise is coming from the trailing edge of the door glass, placed conveniently a few inches from your left ear.  If the flap on that stretch of door gasket is worn or missing, you'll get noise.  Even if it's brand new and the door glass is misadjusted, you'll get wind noise.  Check archives for all sorts of discussions on how to overcome this, but don't expect the silence of a car with framed door windows.  Aint' gonna happen.

mike 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ray_ said:

... That seller has peddled some polished turds on eBay in the past. Wish you good luck!

Ra, i believe you have your sellers confused...i've never seen any shoddy work or feedback about the guy that did that car...it has my carpet so you know it's right

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

(2)  easily adjusted; look at the accelerator linkage under the hood, and you will find the vertical rod is threaded on its upper end and thus adjustable.  That's how you take the slack out.  But first make sure the accelerator pedal itself hasn't come adrift from the two ball/sockets at its base, and that the return spring is properly attached so it isn't rubbing against the heater hose..  

(3) get used to it.  Most of the noise is coming from the trailing edge of the door glass, placed conveniently a few inches from your left ear.  If the flap on that stretch of door gasket is worn or missing, you'll get noise.  Even if it's brand new and the door glass is misadjusted, you'll get wind noise.  Check archives for all sorts of discussions on how to overcome this, but don't expect the silence of a car with framed door windows.  Aint' gonna happen.

mike 

Thank you for that. I see exactly what you’re describing. There is about 3-4 mm of play that I can pull out with pedal firmly in place. I’ll take half of that out and see how it goes. 

We are closing in on Des Moines. It’s beautiful and sunny... with 45 mph gusts. I don’t blame the gaskets for that. They’re recently installed and need to be massaged into place, seem to prevent the door from closing completely. Until this evening the fix is to close the doors with the windows down and then roll up. 

7FE483BD-6B84-4C13-9EEB-ACF70F65436D.jpeg

• Like 7
3 hours ago, esty said:

Ra, i believe you have your sellers confused...i've never seen any shoddy work or feedback about the guy that did that car...it has my carpet so you know it's right

So... not Rare Rides? :)

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

So... not Rare Rides? :)

not Rare Rides...i've done business with the owner and his son for years...his son is a member here

Edited by esty