Pros and cons of 205/60/13 on 5 inch rims.

Go to solution Solved by irdave,

I have some 13 x 5 inch rims and was about to purchase 185-70-13 tires then I saw a car on Bring a Trailer with 205-60-13 inch tires.  Dont know what width the rims are.

Will 205-60s work on 5 inch rims?  Car is stock ride height-no suspension mods.

Edited by WgaryL

You're skirting on the edge of proper tire width when fitting a 205 tire to a 5" rim.  It was done a lot "back in the day" when a 205/60 x13 Phoenix Stahlflex (remember those, long time 02ers?) was the hot tire for an '02; a 5.5" or 6" rim would be better, as it will allow the tread to sit flatter.  

I'm sure that somewhere in the archives--or failing that somewhere on the Internet--a tire fitment listing.  My mid-60s Michelin fitment book won't help, though as it pre-dates 70 and 60 series tires...

mike

• Thanks 1

When your tire is 2” wider than your rim it ain’t gonna work right.

Too ballooned at the correct pressure, the too wide tire actually reduces the contact patch, and the over-extended tire edges on the narrow bead make cornering heavy and squirmy.

It’s like the opposite of over-stretched tires, with equally poor effects on handling, wear and safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, irdave said:

185/70-13 is just fine for the car.  It's plenty of tire. 

And a 205 coupled with a smaller-than-bus-wheel steering wheel will develop your arm muscles, perhaps to the point where your nickname will be Popeye.

mike

• Like 1

205's need 6" really, 5.5 is ok. I have not seen any manufacturer approving 5" but I haven't searched exhaustively. You can put a 165, 175, 185 on the 5", you can put all of the above on a 5.5 as welll, plus the 205. The 165 looks odd on a 5.5, a little lost...but not a safety problem like the 205 on a 5" rim.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, WgaryL said:

Thanks for the replies and comments--Will go with my original choice-185/70/13...now what tire.....lol

Not a whole lot of options in that size, cheap Chinese crap tires, a little better Kumho Korean tires and expensive Pirelli CN36's. Most people seem to spend the extra money to get the Pirelli's from longstonetyre.co.uk, they offer free shipping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 2002iii said:

... Pirelli CN36's. Most people seem to spend the extra money to get the Pirelli's from longstonetyre.co.uk, they offer free shipping...

Just do it!

You probably don’t need to read all 273 replies. By the time you’re 220 replies in, you should have a good idea of how the story ends... 😉😋😂

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
8 hours ago, visionaut said:

Where’s me spinach???

(205s on 16x7s with a 350mm Momo for 20+ years)

Popeye would pair that setup with a quick ratio steering box. 

• Haha 1

Don't do it !

I have 205 / 60 X 13 Tires mounted on 5 1/2" X 13" wheels. And, I consider that the bare minimum width.  The 185 or 165 work better and handle better on a 5" wheel. For optimum handling I think that the 5 1/2" wheels are best suited for 185 tires. My next set will probably be the CN36 in 185.

• Like 1

I ran 205s on my 5" rim way back when and agree with everyone, don't do it.

I once ran 195 60R13s on my 5.5" rim and thought that wasn't bad.

185s are great overall. If you want something beefier Another option is perhaps you can find some 6" rims somewhere for cheap and have two sets. Not trying to spend your money for you 🙂 

JasonP

• Like 1