(1) 2002tii 50th birthday | Facebook

It's hard to believe but the first TIIs are turning 50 years old! The U.S. test car was born on April 20 1971, and Euro market cars were probably coming off the line at the same time. I want to chart the known production dates by VIN to create a timeline and help celebrate these anniversaries as they occur.

Please comment with your production date in 1971 if known, and if you roll that way, join the facebook group noted above.

I'll start...

December 17 1971

2 hours ago, Dave3x72tii said:

(1) 2002tii 50th birthday | Facebook

It's hard to believe but the first TIIs are turning 50 years old! The U.S. test car was born on April 20 1971, and Euro market cars were probably coming off the line at the same time. I want to chart the known production dates by VIN to create a timeline and help celebrate these anniversaries as they occur.

Please comment with your production date in 1971 if known, and if you roll that way, join the facebook group noted above.

I'll start...

December 17 1971

Check here for a few............

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/registry/page/19/?d=11

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 02Les said:

Check here for a few............

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/registry/page/19/?d=11

+1

422 U.S.-spec tii’s (VIN’s 2760001 through 2760422) were built by the end of 1971. Easily the best source, without going to BMW Group Archives, is our Registry: lots of tii’s and manufacturing dates in there, as Les points to.

But I don’t see your car in there, Dave! 😳 It will take you 30 seconds. If you don’t have 30 seconds, please tell me and I’ll happily put your car in the Registry!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for entering your tii in the Registry, Dave! Much appreciated.

Just as background, the first tii imported here, as a test mule for emissions, and which still survives, is actually a Euro-spec car, with a Euro-spec VIN: 2700177 (indicating it is the 177th Euro-spec tii manufactured). Although it passed emissions, and, thus, the U.S. EPA’s requirements, it’s not clear that it ever received all the U.S. DOT... improvements.

The first two U.S.-spec tii’s, meeting full U.S. requirements, were built May 10, 1971, VIN’s 2760001 and 2760002. Here’s the Registry entry for VIN 2760001, which became — by plan, not by accident — the Road & Track and Car and Driver test car.

Both VIN 2760001 and VIN 2760002 survive.

Regards,

Steve