• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Messing around with accelerator shaft linkage

RoccoGilroy

So I’m prepping for the 38/38 instal and I bought an accelerator shaft for $10... It didn’t come with the little doo-dads to connect the shaft to the pedal or the linkage arm... So I went on Amazon and found some heim joints... Another $10... Took about 10 min to Cut the end off the bottom and thread it to 6mm. Some nuts and bolts from my stash and ta-da!!! Came up with this... 

I know this is a copy of Harry’s design... I bought one from him years ago... Great product and beautiful! But last I checked he was out of stock so I figured I’d have a go. I have 2 extra heim joints if anyone wants them. They’re $10 on Amazon for 4 but I’ll ship them for free if anyone wants them. I could use the karma lol. 

Rocco

B44CA4C9-8C24-494B-96C2-ECDBAB8BB4BA.jpeg

7E84D78C-42DA-4D35-A11B-9388C85914CD.jpeg

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

5 minutes ago, Lorin said:

I did this once and went back to stock because the heims would buzz at certain engine rpms and drove me crazy. 

Time will tell if I suffer the same fate... 

I am working on this exact same project right now. I’m using the stock arm from the accelerator on up, so I might replace it with your idea, here. I purchased a linkage arm from Ireland engineering, before they went dark. I surmised that it had to be trimmed to fit, hopefully that was an accurate assumption. One thing that’s freaking me out though – everything seems to be uncomfortably close to the heater core hose. Once I add the spring, I think the spring itself is going to be rubbing right up against the hose. It seems like an accident waiting to happen. 

19 minutes ago, esty said:

thanks Rocco...you're one of the good guys and i mailed you a huge attachment, full of Karma

Oh, your sweet, but I assure you I’m as rotten as they come!!!?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ketchup said:

I am working on this exact same project right now. I’m using the stock arm from the accelerator on up, so I might replace it with your idea, here. I purchased a linkage arm from Ireland engineering, before they went dark. I surmised that it had to be trimmed to fit, hopefully that was an accurate assumption. One thing that’s freaking me out though – everything seems to be uncomfortably close to the heater core hose. Once I add the spring, I think the spring itself is going to be rubbing right up against the hose. It seems like an accident waiting to happen. 

Every car is different... Time will tell if I run into the same sort of trouble. It’s a quick fix and saved me the agony and time of searching and waiting for the “doo-dads” to connect the linkage correctly. Every 02’er has 3 or 4 of these accelerator linkage rods laying around so even if you screw it up it’s not going to cost you much... I wish it was my idea but to give credit this is Harry’s design. I would have bought one from him again but last time I checked he was out of stock. His are undoubtedly far superior to what I have created here but I’m content and if it functions well I’ll be a happy camper all

the same. Hope you can find a way to create some clearance. I can’t see it but maybe re-articulating the hose (twist it a bit) could create some space? 

1 hour ago, RoccoGilroy said:

I think the spring itself is going to be rubbing right up against the hose.

It could be close...but there are several ways to gain some clearance.

-Push the heater hose all the way into the firewall. May have to trim a bit off the heater box end.

-Put a tab on the bolt (to the heim joint) to move it toward the engine.

-Flip the spring around. Bend the sharp end of the spring for any clearance issues

-Slip a shield of some sort around the hose to prevent chafing.

See my picture. Looks like there is no clearance, but there is....even when the hose swells a bit when the heat is on.

Throttle Rod.jpg

• Thanks 2

It is also important to adjust the length of the downrod with the throttle completely closed.   The Heim joints might limit the adjustment length of your rod but you can always rotate the accelerator pedal lever outside of the pedal box to gain or lose some length.  Here is the shop manuals discussion of doing this.

Accelerator Pedal Installation.png

• Thanks 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Ugh, the last thing I wanna do is pull up the carpet and hack back into the pedal box assembly that I just installed. Nonetheless, good info, thanks for sharing. Having a myriad of potential adjustment points is sometimes frustrating 

Actually, that lever adjustment is all done outside of the pedal box.  The page above from the workshop manual is covering refurbishing the pedal lever bushings also.  It's not a bad idea to check the tightness of that compression fit on the pedal rod  lever while you are down there.  They tend to get sloppy over time.

• Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

To adjust the angle of the lever you don't need to get inside the pedal box just loosen the clamp #2 and move the lever #3 and tighten the clamp after adjusting for full throttle range from idle to wot. 

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944