Price: $100
Description:

Hey, folks, my 49k-mile survivor '73 2002 "Hampton" is now on Bring a Trailer. The link is below. It's as intact a survivor as you're likely to find. Original paint, front fenders have never been off, the interior is remarkable. I've posted a very detailed description in the comments (scroll all the way to the bottom and read the first four from the bottom up).

--Rob

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-2002-63/

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0359.JPG

DSC_0388a.JPG

DSC_0394b.JPG

DSC_0392.JPG

DSC_0398.JPG

DSC_0399.JPG

DSC_0556.JPG

DSC_0430.JPG

• Like 3

I don't want to ruin the sale on BaT so I'll just post this here, but I don't really get the "only original once" argument. This is a 50 year old car that sat for 10 years. Unless you want a trailer queen, this will need all new seals and rubber. At that point it is not "all original". Furthermore, our daily drivers are all more powerful so our 2021 backsides now find a stock 2002 very slow. Again, it isn't long until someone will mod this so why pay extra for "unmolested"?

8 minutes ago, Georges said:

I don't want to ruin the sale on BaT so I'll just post this here, but I don't really get the "only original once" argument. This is a 50 year old car that sat for 10 years. Unless you want a trailer queen, this will need all new seals and rubber. At that point it is not "all original". Furthermore, our daily drivers are all more powerful so our 2021 backsides now find a stock 2002 very slow. Again, it isn't long until someone will mod this so why pay extra for "unmolested"?

My opinion only, of course, but I think there’s a certain rarity and “authentic ness” that comes with originality that some folks value and are willing to pay a premium for. And others that agree with your perspective and a whole range of gray in between. And I find both perspectives very very cool. 

I personally find the 02 tent big enough for all, and part of why I have one and not some other marques... among other reasons!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Georges, I partially agree with you. No drivable 2002--or for that matter, no drivable nearly 50-year-old vintage car of any make--is completely original. Even if you found one, at a minimum, filters and tires need to be changed, and likely fuel and coolant hoses and brake and clutch hydraulics. This one had a decent refreshing in 2004 (and yes the windshield gaskets were changed at that point), and I gave it a light sort-out after its 10-year sit. I also agree that a bone-stock 2002 isn't as exciting to drive as well-set-up 02 with engine and suspension mods. But I think you'll agree that a sub-50k-mile 2002 that appears to be wearing its original paint and front fenders, is still pretty and shiny, has only two rust holes in the trunk and fairly minor corrosion elsewhere, that doesn't appear to have been hit or to have had any metal repair, and that has as original and un-cut-up an interior as you're likely to find, is unusual enough that even a guy like me felt honor-bound not to do anything stupid to it.

Edited by thehackmechanic
  • Like 3
43 minutes ago, thehackmechanic said:

Georges, I partially agree with you. No drivable 2002--or for that matter, no drivable nearly 50-year-old vintage car of any make--is completely original. Even if you found one, at a minimum, filters and tires need to be changed, and likely fuel and coolant hoses and brake and clutch hydraulics. This one had a decent refreshing in 2004 (and yes the windshield gaskets were changed at that point), and I gave it a light sort-out after its 10-year sit. I also agree that a bone-stock 2002 isn't as exciting to drive as well-set-up 02 with engine and suspension mods. But I think you'll agree that a sub-50k-mile 2002 that appears to be wearing its original paint and front fenders, is still pretty and shiny, has only two rust holes in the trunk and fairly minor corrosion elsewhere, that doesn't appear to have been hit or to have had any metal repair, and that has as original and un-cut-up an interior as you're likely to find, is unusual enough that even a guy like me felt honor-bound not to do anything stupid to it.

Very true

Like I’ve said before “some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you” I like how this is a honest car with nothing to hide. A 73 Malaga recently sold on BaT for 30k. It had shiny paint with some serious rust lurking below the surface. I feel bad for the new owner when those bubbles pop. It’s gonna be ugly.