While I can see a #1 car, especially a tii go for the money, the bottom rung seems ambitious.  

Hagerty lists 

#1 = $59,200

#2 = $33,400

#3 = $17,900

#4 = $11,600 

-15% for Auto +15% for sunroof 

All that being said, I'm trying to get my head around the car I have. It's a 75 with documented miles and service records back to 1980. Was owned by the same lady for 25years. She had it painted

(although the paint is clear coat peeling now)  and rebuilt the engine which has 20K miles since 2001-have the receipt. Car is straight no rust except a dime sized bubble in the middle of the rear quarter. Runs great with little to no oil soak or drips. Suspension could use maybe new ball joints and tie rod ends but that stuff is decades old and maybe original.  Shows actual mileage on a working odometer of 187K.  The one thing, and this really is the only downfall is the trans makes a lot of noise in first gear. The input shaft or layshaft bearing is going. Anyways, for the purpose of this discussion, I'll include some images to better give you an idea. 

What is this car's ranking in your mind?  Clearly not a #1, what could it be ?

It has a sunroof. 

1125382026_IMG_02221.JPG.9a513873de9bb5699ef13ab595bdfbf7.jpg

1191082250_IMG_02231.JPG.2cd8b7c890ee92799de83f7047440fac.jpg

1902239613_IMG_02201.JPG.252e782adeaf28415208b0f2af760eec.jpg

2106682268_IMG_02161.JPG.b80949930dd4f91e86be694a77387be1.jpg

Edited by conkitchen

Seems to fit #4 well. Is that dash cap covering a crack?

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Seems to fit #4 well. Is that dash cap covering a crack?

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

That's fair :-) 

3 minutes ago, Mike G said:

I don’t think the valuations are too far off either, at #4 with a sun roof you’re looking at just over 13k, seems reasonable to me. 

SOLD! naw just kidding, I would take that offer though. Just can't decide if I should replace the trans and ask for a little more to cover my labor or just throw the replacement box in the trunk.  Come selling time whenever that is.  

Man, I just don’t like the Hagerty valuation tool.  I just don’t feel like the categories are realistic when you’re trying to place a value on a marque/model that gets driven and enjoyed like a 2002.  They also bang on mods.  #1, #2 don’t allow for any (#3 doesn’t really either).  As seen lately, the right mods on an ‘02 get the value way up there.  

IMHO, which shouldn’t mean much to you😀, the Hagerty tool is useful if you’re a buyer trying to bang on the owner.  I’ve had pretty good success in the past with this tactic. 

If It were me selling your car, I’d start looking at BAT/EBay/CL for comps and use those numbers.  

One generalization can fit all, if it's general enough.

The curve has points in it, but it's the placement of the points-

and thus, the shape of the curve that matters at any given point.

heh.

Hagerty sells insurance, they don't work on 2002s.

t

only a little rust

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tdh said:

If It were me selling your car, I’d start looking at BAT/EBay/CL for comps and use those numbers.  

Yeah, like most I troll all the sites and then slum it on Facebook and every now and then Offer Up. Just to see how the other half lives.   There is a regional effect not captured by the all encompassing Hagerty tool.  Here in the Peoples Republic of California I see cars, mostly on CL asking for WAAAAAY too much money.  Then again, cost of living here and the price of admission in CA is so high it raises ALL boats. Even the banana boat. 

but what do I know.  

I just listed and sold a 1987 FX 16 GTS-non runner for $1,500.00 cause I did not want to deal with it. The guy is picking it up from out of state on Saturday. Ad is up still with SALE PENDING script. The emails have been non-stop with fools asking to be second in line if the deal falls through and or can they come and see it before the guy picks it up.   I guess I sold it too cheap. 

Hot hatches are the next big thing! 

IMG_2350.JPG

Edited by conkitchen