• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Available Exhausts?

Hi All,

I am looking for a new exhaust system for my 71 2002. It will be added in addition to some other go fast bits... Weber 38/38, header, ie stage 1 springs and bilsteins, and st sway bars. I am looking for something that is a little throatier than stock, but keeps the original side exit point as opposed to the Ansa systems that reroute to the center. The first system that comes to thought is the stainless IE system also sold on Rodgers tii, but both have been out of stock for a long time. What are some other options that are currently in stock?

Thanks, 
Chris 

Thanks, I have read this thread over and over, but it appears that a lot of the links are no longer working, and many places are out of stock. Wondering if anybody has any more recent updates. Most of the systems mentioned in that thread are center exhaust vs early style side exit. 

Also, where do people buy supersprint exhausts these days? the only supplier I see is straight from the source and not US based. 

Looks like W&N has a stainless exhaust for early cars. They’re not US based but I usually receive my parts from them in a week or less (I live in VA.)

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/stainless-steel-exhaust-system-compl-1502-2002tii-incl-manifold-without-mounting-kit-only-for-lhd-18-01-00.html

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I would also consider the custom route.  I found a local exhaust shop that does all their own fabrication, and were reputable.  They built me a custom header and full stainless exhaust, with a v-band for ease of removal.  2 years now with no issues, and it sounds great.  Price was comparable to prefab.  

Not saying IE, W&N, Ansa, etc aren't a good route to take, but something to consider.

• Like 2

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

There are a lot of options out there.  Some good, some not so much.  You don't see much 'real' info on some of the claims the aftermarket folks claim.  Port match your intake manifold with your head - ditto (match) exhaust ports with exhaust manifold/header.  You might think about a tii manifold/downpipe, factory (not aftermarket) Eberspacher tii resonator and muffler.  Ceramic coat it if you want to make it look pretty, it works really well, is well made, lasts and MOST importantly FITS.  Ask a few folks on this board how pissed off they have been with certain systems they have purchased that don't fit, rattle like sh*t and really probably don't really work that well (but hey, that shiny ss is cool looking.....).  Good luck. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, markmac said:

Eberspacher tii

I run this exhaust, with a stainless down tube because the OEM split but the rest is standard Tii, manifold, centre section and rear box, it’s about 8 years old, nice tone, seamless fit, very happy with it.

• Like 1

I have the WN stock looking stainless on my 1600 Cabriolet, it's excellent.

On my 2002Tii I have the WN Sebring which is a center exit, it's excellent. For me it's quiet compared to the Ansa that was on when I bought it in 2010 & to my friend Scott it's throatier than the stock system.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 71roundie67mgb65spitfire said:

Still trying to figure this one out. 

Sounds to me like ya just need to make a decision ;) They're all a google-search away. 

Go spend a bunch of money on a Kooglewerks Header, and get the best exhaust shop in driving distance to fab ya up a custom stainless setup. 

Ignore the giant hole you just burned in your wallet. Done. 

-J who runs the NOS Abarth Exhaust. Like it other than the fact that it wants to rust the moment you put it on the car. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Sounds to me like ya just need to make a decision ;) They're all a google-search away. 

Go spend a bunch of money on a Kooglewerks Header, and get the best exhaust shop in driving distance to fab ya up a custom stainless setup. 

Ignore the giant hole you just burned in your wallet. Done. 

-J who runs the NOS Abarth Exhaust. Like it other than the fact that it wants to rust the moment you put it on the car. 

I think you are right. I have a 4-2-1 header I bought from someone close by. I just need a good system to attach to it. Ireland and rogerstii are out of their stainless system. I can find supersprints, but after shipping they are over $1k. Going with the top end performance kit, then having a shop fab the rest is tempting, but I haven't seen many reviews. 

One consideration is that I need it to be relatively easy to remove. I will be swapping the transmission in a few months once I can get it on the lift.