1971 BMW 2002 Verona selling for over $45k - PDX

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So Slavs, when are you picking it up? 

Ok guys, let's not get our panties in a bunch. BaT auctions are renown for people paying a premium. I guess some feel its worldwide reach and selection of cars is worth it to them. Not everyone wants

my carpet took it over the top  

Posted Images

Overpriced ! and equipped with gizmos and catch words found here on the internet.

None of that impresses me. But, obviously it impressed someone else.

It appears to be a clean car, but for $50K ?

All of this is headed in the wrong direction.

Stitched leather dash ! almost sounds like "Cornithian Leather" from the 70s era Ricardo Montalban

Chrysler Cordoba commercial.

Ricardo ! Ricardo ! Ricardo! No, it's Recaros! Recaros! Recaros !

For God's sake this is the most overrated seat. What is wrong with you guys and this Recaro sickness ?

I have a set in my 70s beater outside I picked up at the salvage yards 25 years ago for something like $20 /piece. And, I could care less for them. Their styling does not fit the car. They impede visibility. And, they are too narrow.

And 15" wheels ?

These cars don't need heavy 15" wheels with the corresponding low profile tires which are non-compliant resulting in a harsh ride. You might as well just get solid wheels and put a rubber band around them.

Why are so many people smitten with the 245/5 ? It's also an ill fitting trans in these cars. Just try servicing the slave cylinder on it. 5th gear is too tall, necessitating the install of a 3.90 diff and shortening of the driveshaft. Most 5 speeds suffer from driveshaft misalignment resulting in premature guibo failure and/or vibration. I had to take my apart 2X. And, this is with a kit.

If that Weber is a 38/38, it's garbage. I have one nearly new in the box. And, that's where it will stay. This carb has no range. Maybe it's good for racing, but that's about it. A 32/36 is better, but it is also over rated and delivers not so good mileage.

A blacked out engine compartment on a$50K car ?

That dune buggy air cleaner on a $50k car ?

Wow !

"Stitched Leather". How about that for a Frankenstein dash repair.

Who's making the damn replacement dashes. Where are they ?

Ricardo ! you're rolling in your grave.

I rather have a Cordoba with its "Corinthian Leather", which doesn't exist as it was just a catch word in the commercial for the vinyl.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I agree that this car looks clean but $50K? I continue to be surprised at today's car market.

What sold it was the professional photo shoot IMO.

But at the end of the day if the buyer is happy and the car makes them smile, then that is all there is to it. 

~Jason

• Like 3

@Slavs

I’m in the car with my wife and two of my children headed back from FL after watching the SpaceX launch today.  I was belly laughing reading your post.  They think I’m nuts for laughing so hard! 

My mom had a Chrysler Cordoba she bought new off the lot.  Black with red “Corinthian Leather.”  I remember that damn thing like it was yesterday.   It had these “coins” embedded in the vinyl top over the “Cordoba” badge that were gold toned.  My cousin and I had a plan to pry them out and sell them for comic book money!  Man, the things you come up with when you’re 10. 

Now about those Recaro’s you’ve got.  Next time I’m in LA I’ll be glad to take them off your hands...😀

Travis 

Edited by Tdh
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Carlos_M said:

This is insane!  I guess our values have all increased...

Yep, and I hope they continue. Not cause I want to sell, but these cars should be recognized as a car that means something more than a disposable item. I hope any of my nephews would enjoy the pleasure of what this car has when they own the car someday.

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

What sold it was the professional photo shoot IMO.

The pictures sure look doctored to me. Hope the buyer isn't disappointed. Still F-ing nice being a late 71.

1 hour ago, Tdh said:

I was belly laughing reading your post.  They think I’m nuts for laughing so hard! 

Agreed! 

Imagine, a car just sold for 6K less with an S14 w/CR on BAT just a few days ago. Clean too, with praise from individuals that could vouch for the owner.

Am I mad that it sold for more, nope. Am I mad that it would cost me that much to build an example, hell yes. Nobody could build this car or the S14 example for either of the sold prices.

@Slavs. Try pricing a build of any example you see for sale. You will quicky see that you have been living under a rock. Think you can build a stock 2002 for the same, GL. The buyers got a turn key deal.

Thank god that there are people out there, outside our bubble that see the 02, isn't a pinto.

Moe out, end of rant.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

Nobody could build this car or the S14 example for either of the sold prices.

6 minutes ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

Nobody could build this car or the S14 example for either of the sold prices.

Well, I disagree with you on that.

I don't buy into all the 02 "Jingoism" out there.

This car could be built for much less than $50K.  I'm very confident I can build one for less than $20K, possibly even less than that in the $15K range or less. It all depends on your skills and how much work you can do yourself. 

These asking prices are nonsense and ridiculous like the artificially high price of housing and real estate in places like Los Angeles, even now during the pandemic. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

It just makes make me nervous when the spray asphalt base undercoating on everything underneath, and the black engine compartment is not my cup of tea. 

It's a cheap shortcut and a way of hiding things. It can be compared to the "Popcorn" ceilings everybody was spraying during the 70s. You don't have to fill, sand, paint and finish the ceiling. Just spray the asbestos containing textured popcorn, and you're done. Now, you got to pay $$$$ to an asbestos abatement company to get rid of it or get up there in a Casper suit and respirator mask and get rid of it yourself.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Slavs said:

It's a cheap shortcut and a way of hiding things. It can be compared to the "Popcorn" ceilings everybody was spraying during the 70s. You don't have to fill, sand, paint and finish the ceiling. Just spray the asbestos containing textured popcorn, and you're done. Now, you got to pay $$$$ to an asbestos abatement company to get rid of it or get up there in a Casper suit and respirator mask and get rid of it yourself.

Good analogy, but thanks for reminding me I have more popcorn to remove seems never-ending. 

2 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

So Slavs, when are you picking it up? 

You know, I just may have something here. Why not bring back the 70s along with 70s era Chrysler ? And, that includes the polyester suits. They last forever. The bugs will never eat those suits. And, in the end they can bury you in it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Good analogy, but thanks for reminding me I have more popcorn to remove seems never-ending. 

Or, you can live with it as long as you spray a lot of paint on to it to consolidate it.

If you soak it first with water before scraping it off, you won't have all the dangerous dust. It just turns to mud. But, it's a hell of a mess.