68 1600 brakes(If you need me I’ll be down this rabbit hole)

So I’ve got an early 68 1600 with the remote servo and long brake master attached to the pedal box... I’ve attached some videos. The master is leaking obviously... I grabbed some 320i calipers from picknpull just in case I endeavor to fix the current system. 

Option #1... send the master to White post for rebuild. $220... buy and trade in my booster $400 after shipping there and back to jaymic... that should get me on the road... In theory... Bad side is the front is powered but the back is not and I will likely never do the rear disc conversion... limited to 320i single pots in front for upgrade as well. And there’s the mechanical clutch issue that means I have to modify it when I want to swap in the 5 speed...

Option #2... Tear it all out and find a good used pedal box, booster, master, new IE brake lines, calipers, and all related hardware... Jesus that sounds like a nightmare... but I get the ability to upgrade to 5 speed and brake upgrade options... 

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Anyone want to guess what all the parts for the swap over would cost me? Anyone near me have a parts car with the associated parts? I want to do this once and not keep throwing $ and time at it. So fix the old and live with it... Or swap and spend once cry once...

https://youtube.com/shorts/UDHJ0_7XrHE?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/dkWA-9sipgM?feature=share

Edited by RoccoGilroy
Forgot pics

Not to throw more fuel onto the fire but when you do that five speed you will also have the issue of the six bolt crank and flywheel to deal with.  As you have a 68 and not an earlier 66/67 I would go with the later pedal box and brakes.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, HBChris said:

Not to throw more fuel onto the fire but when you do that five speed you will also have the issue of the six bolt crank and flywheel to deal with.  As you have a 68 and not an earlier 66/67 I would go with the later pedal box and brakes.

It’s a 2.0... 73 i believe with an e12 head. Optimistic it’s an 8 bold crank but I’m sure I’ll have to replace the clutch as it may have the spring loaded pressure plate... it’s a mechanical clutch still. 

Edited by RoccoGilroy

Hi. Had to have my 71's Brake Booster rebuilt. Sent it to Martin @ Power Brake Exchange in San Jose. $165.75 + return shipping to VA. Rebuilt & fresh powder coat. Beautiful work. Check them out.

2 minutes ago, Mark Sucher said:

Hi. Had to have my 71's Brake Booster rebuilt. Sent it to Martin @ Power Brake Exchange in San Jose. $165.75 + return shipping to VA. Rebuilt & fresh powder coat. Beautiful work. Check them out.

Ill have to look into that! Thank you!

If the engine is a 73 it will have the 8 bolt crank. On the brakes I would vote to upgrade to the later style if your going to modify the car, the 2 servo system parts are getting hard to find and expensive to acquire. The latter system gives you many performance upgrade kits to choose from and the hydraulic clutch to boot. Sell the 2 servo set up to someone restoring a early car, 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

If the engine is a 73 it will have the 8 bolt crank. On the brakes I would vote to upgrade to the later style if your going to modify the car, the 2 servo system parts are getting hard to find and expensive to acquire. The latter system gives you many performance upgrade kits to choose from and the hydraulic clutch to boot. Sell the 2 servo set up to someone restoring a early car, 

Its a single servo LHD. Vin 1562017... But ya i wont toss it... Someone may need it if I dont end up using it... 

and I don't get why you'd need hydraulic clutch engagement for a 5 speed. Only a different bearing is needed and that is for hydraulic and mechanical engagement the same.

I quite like the mechanical clutch if it's in good working order.

50 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I’d go option 2, if for nothing else to have a much easier time sourcing parts down the road.  Glad to see you are around again.

think I’ve got an extra rebuilt booster around as well.

Thanks! Send me a pm and we can talk or text! I’m super excited! I’m going to try really hard not to do things twice this time around... have a plan and go for it the first time... I’m going to document this time too. The first one I didn’t document anything. I’ll post some videos up today. Figured out a neat trick that helps with far sound deadening removal!