Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Check fuse 7 carefully (those fuses not only corrode, but actually wear out).  That fuse services only your left parking and tail light.

 

mike

Just looks, it's blown! I think I have some replacements at home, I'll let you know if that fixes it. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2002kid said:

Just looks, it's blown! I think I have some replacements at home, I'll let you know if that fixes it. Thanks!

If it blows again when you turn the lights on, you have a short somewhere--but since that fuse serves only those two bulbs, it should be easy to find.

 

mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, Mike Self said:

If it blows again when you turn the lights on, you have a short somewhere--but since that fuse serves only those two bulbs, it should be easy to find.

 

mike

I'm very new to electrics and the wiring on these cars, where would the ground be for the fuse?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 2002kid said:

Yeah it seems like a short, im going to bring it to my local mechanic

 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, Mike Self said:

you have a short somewhere--but since that fuse serves only those two bulbs, it should be easy to find.

 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, Mike Self said:

it should be easy to find.

 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:32 PM, Mike Self said:

it should be easy to find.

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2002kid said:

Yeah it seems like a short, im going to bring it to my local mechanic

i should have elaborated, im very new to cars, and i really dont want to fry or screw up any electronics on this car (im 18). i would rather bring it to my friend who is a mechanic and can help me diagnose this. I checked the grounds that i could find and cleaned them, that didnt fix the problem. i took off the connections on the front and rear lights and made sure they were on right, that did nothing. i just want to play it safe and not make an expensive mistake. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 2002kid,

Fuses 7 & 8 are fairly easy...(only fuses 1 & 3 are easier!). 

Before you spend $$$ at a mechanic, check the following:

1) Left side (fuse #7). If it blows again, check the Grey/yellow wire to each bulb, especially the front lights. 

    These tend to get pinched, corroded or loose in the light fixture.

2) Check rear light harness plug (in trunk). This also gets corrosion from moisture in the trunk.

3) Ditto for the Right side, but don't forget the rear side lights and license plate lights.

Good luck!  You can do it!!!   At 18, you have a lot of lives left to experiment with electricity!

 

Fuses 7 & 8.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John76 said:

Hi 2002kid,

Fuses 7 & 8 are fairly easy...(only fuses 1 & 3 are easier!). 

Before you spend $$$ at a mechanic, check the following:

1) Left side (fuse #7). If it blows again, check the Grey/yellow wire to each bulb, especially the front lights. 

    These tend to get pinched, corroded or loose in the light fixture.

2) Check rear light harness plug (in trunk). This also gets corrosion from moisture in the trunk.

3) Ditto for the Right side, but don't forget the rear side lights and license plate lights.

Good luck!  You can do it!!!   At 18, you have a lot of lives left to experiment with electricity!

 

Fuses 7 & 8.jpg

 

Wow! Thankyou so much! I'll go through the car tomorrow and see if I can find anything out or order according to the diagram and what you advised. Thanks -kid

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Good work, and isn't it amazing what you can tell by looking and paying attention? 

 

A word of advice - take the time to trace all the ground wires, the brown ones are always ground. Then clean and tighten anything that is loose or cruddy.  the BMW is known for sensitivity to weak grounds, and there are plenty on a 2002 (front turn signals especially).  After 50 years, you expect things to rattle and loosen and gather dirt and corrode a bit.

 

If you need anything related to lighting, I have plenty of experience with their workings, restoring and upgrading are my specialty. Advice is always free.

 

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...