Help Me Decide (color combo)

Greetings fellow 02'ers,

As I start to plan the restoration of my 75' 02 (yes it's a 75' I know lol, but it was purchased new by PO and imported to Canada so is void of all the emissions garbage) I wanted everyones opinion/suggestions on color combos. Let me start by saying I'm no purist, but would like to keep things within a respectable color scheme. Car was originally Chamonix with blue interior, but the exterior was switched to Anthrazitgrau-Metallic by original owner. I'm quite fond of it's current color but think the interior would be better suited in either black, Gobi tan, or beige.....

Any suggestions on which interior color would best fit the Anthrazitgrau exterior? Looking forward to what everyone thinks! 

Hope everyones enjoying whatever car projects they may have going on! 

Anthrazitgrau-metallic came from the factory with either a beige interior (a.k.a., nylon brown in the parts manual and on factory window stickers) or a black interior. (“Gobi tan” is a World Upholstery color, not a BMW color. It is more “fleshy” than BMW’s beige.) Although I believe Anthrazitgrau is one of the great square taillight colors, with a black interior it’s pretty boring. A friend’s father, in ‘76, bought a new ‘02 in anthrazitgrau with beige interior and it was one of the more memorable, and unusual, ‘02’s that I can recall.

Indeed, beige was the default color according to the 1974-76 paint and upholstery concordances. Below, a 1975 concordance and upholstery samples.

I agree with John’s comment above, regarding a red interior. And higher-end cars, such as Mercedes of the time, would often pair a red interior with a gray exterior — to stunning effect.

Regards,

Steve

41C9A9C9-69C5-4A46-BA46-CDF9CB62F5D9.jpeg

36442CB2-9E2E-44F1-9CB3-C10B5782B355.jpeg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I agree with John’s comment above, regarding a red interior. And higher-end cars, such as Mercedes of the time, would often pair red with a gray exterior — to stunning effect.

And don't forget the often discussed but rarely seen "last 200" 76 US 2002s--Polaris with a red leather interior, soup-plate alloy wheels and an electric sunroof.  I've never seen one, but there was one advertised in the Roundel back in the 80s.  And a couple of years ago I saw a Polaris '76 with an authentic red interior, but it was an automatic, and no sunroof.  Not according to the legend.  

But I agree a red interior with that anthracite grey exterior would be very cool.  Witness that combination on a period 230/50/80SL Mercedes.  Dark grey with a black interior would be funereal.  

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An early Mercedes Red Leather interior would be stunning. But, I would not choose the shade shown above. I would look at dozens and dozens of samples and photos of whole interiors.

It comes down to a matter of personal taste, but I see some red as brassy, shiny, cheap, and tacky. Others are rich, classy, subtle and beautiful. What strikes me as stunning may hit you as awful.

But in the end I would go with red.

• Like 1

have you considered dying them...SEM 25113, FIRETHORN RED, is just about an exact match to BMW cardinal Red...or the red pictured by Steve...you can buy a quart of dye and a couple of Preval Sprayers for under $100 and DIY

• Like 2
3 hours ago, esty said:

have you considered dying them

I agree with Esty, I used vinyl dye from Autozone to change my rear seat and door cards to from blue to black, and it worked really well for me. I just made sure they were ultra clean and used several light coats.

IMG_6723 2.jpg

IMG_6720 2.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, so much great information and food for thought.  Had never even considered red as an option but a few of you definitely feel it should be a contender. I agree that black is a little boring, but again to each their own! I really do appreciate all the input, and I'm not opposed to keeping the blue and repainting car in the original Chamonix. I do however like the look of Anthrazitgrau on a square taillight 02! 

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

Anthrazitgrau-metallic came from the factory with either a beige interior (a.k.a., nylon brown in the parts manual and on factory window stickers) or a black interior. (“Gobi tan” is a World Upholstery color, not a BMW color. It is more “fleshy” than BMW’s beige.) Although I believe Anthrazitgrau is one of the great square taillight colors, with a black interior it’s pretty boring. A friend’s father, in ‘76, bought a new ‘02 in anthrazitgrau with beige interior and it was one of the more memorable, and unusual, ‘02’s that I can recall.

Indeed, beige was the default color according to the 1974-76 paint and upholstery concordances. Below, a 1975 concordance and upholstery samples.

I agree with John’s comment above, regarding a red interior. And higher-end cars, such as Mercedes of the time, would often pair a red interior with a gray exterior — to stunning effect.

Regards,

Steve

41C9A9C9-69C5-4A46-BA46-CDF9CB62F5D9.jpeg

36442CB2-9E2E-44F1-9CB3-C10B5782B355.jpeg

Steve, thanks for adding this! I never figured out all the codes, but its nice to know that the original beige was called "nylon brown".  Does anyone offer complete kits other than World, now that I know their colours aren't original? 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, esty said:

have you considered dying them...SEM 25113, FIRETHORN RED, is just about an exact match to BMW cardinal Red...or the red pictured by Steve...you can buy a quart of dye and a couple of Preval Sprayers for under $100 and DIY

Etsy, I didn't even know that dying the vinyl was an option! Are there limitations to how well certain colors will hide the original dark blue?  This is an interesting option as my interior is in immaculate condition. Perhaps the use of dye would yield nice results! 

Edited by Mike
2 hours ago, Mike said:

Etsy, I didn't even know that dying the vinyl was an option! Are there limitations to how well certain colors will hide the original dark blue?  This is an interesting option as my interior is in immaculate condition. Perhaps the use of dye would yield nice results! 

no limitations, and as durable as the original...just don't clean them with heavy chemicals.....if you have a blue interior and go to black, it is an easy change...if you dyed them tan it may take an additional coat or 2

you can buy black dye in spray cans at most, if not all corner auto parts stores just be sure it's satin, not gloss...unless you want really shiny

5 hours ago, Mike said:

... Does anyone offer complete kits other than World, now that I know their colours aren't original?...

GAHH is the other frequently-used source for complete seat covers. And they also make excellent quality seat covers. Their closest color to BMW’s 1974-76 beige (a.k.a., nylon-brown) is Buckskin. It’s not fleshy like World Upholstery’s Gobi tan, but, like Gobi tan, it’s not an exact match for the original vinyl color. If you absolutely must have the original color, re-using original vinyl and/or dying are the way to go.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

I'll sing the other song; I love black interiors.  Have a black headliner sitting here in case I ever get around to putting one in...  Boring maybe, but practical- I hate having it bright inside the car.  And yes, tinted windows- life at a mile up is bright.

Dyed my panels from tan to black with a spray can of whatever they had at the auto parts store, worked great.  Been a couple years now and holding up just fine.

• Like 1