68 1600 cab seat material issue

i am running out of solutions to fix the seat on a 68' 1600 convertible

type of seat "without" headrest

local shops dont want to stich on them beacause the material is too dry and has shrinked a lot. not worth working on it but if i can find the proper material to replace the whole section it could work.

Esty ?

note that this material is quite different from 02 seat, i think it is unique to the cabrio variant.

thanks for looking at this.

IMG_9138.JPG

IMG_9139.JPG

Edited by PatAllen
typo

My father had his cabrio seats redone but just that center section only. The reproduction material that maxamillian sells is very close to the original but not exactly the same. I can try and get a photo this afternoon

Pat, from your pictures, the embossed-pattern center upholstery is the same as what was used in all the roundies; so per Andrew's comment above, someone has already replaced/repaired your seats.

I managed to repair the front seat cushion on my '69 (punctured by a screwdriver I left in my back pocket) by cannibalizing a rear seat back--one whose top was already sun-rotted.  A local shop was able to get more than enough material to repair the front seat, with a bit left over.  It's still holding up after nearly 20 years....

mike

19 minutes ago, FunElan said:

My father had his cabrio seats redone but just that center section only. The reproduction material that maxamillian sells is very close to the original but not exactly the same. I can try and get a photo this afternoon

yes id like to thanks

9 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Pat, from your pictures, the embossed-pattern center upholstery is the same as what was used in all the roundies; so per Andrew's comment above, someone has already replaced/repaired your seats.

I managed to repair the front seat cushion on my '69 (punctured by a screwdriver I left in my back pocket) by cannibalizing a rear seat back--one whose top was already sun-rotted.  A local shop was able to get more than enough material to repair the front seat, with a bit left over.  It's still holding up after nearly 20 years....

mike

car is from france imported by original owner, i asked him gazillions of times, ie he never ever had the seats redone. anyway i need to find this very material.

I think it can be repaired without stitching, if you want to keep it original. Search to see if you can find any of my previous posts on the matter. If not, let me know.

Pics of the underside?

Is the vinyl stiff everywhere?

Exactly this Flechtnarbe is available in Germany without problem. Just not at BMW - they have some Flechtnarbe (basketweave) that's different.

Porsche used the same so Tony at Autobahn will probably be able to supply this in the US