1966 1600-2 Dashboard Details

In addition to all the different dash styles which equipped the 02, the 66 1600 dash is unique..

I've included some pics from one of my well worn and cracked 66 dashboards. These dashboards are the three piece variety as equipped on 66-67 pre -Federal US spec cars .

Notice the center section 1600 badge and how it is affixed to the dash. Only the 66 cars had these badges. The aluminum molding on this dash piece is black, but on my other 66 1600 dash it is polished. 

It's too bad I didn't pick up more of these dashboards at the self service salvage yards back in the day. They only asked $12 / pad. So a three piece would cost you only $36. I usually only picked up the non-cracked dash pads. And, most 66-67 cars I found had cracks on the dash pads. I did find one, though with no cracks. But, it has developed a crack since.

66 1600 Dash-1.jpg

66 1600 Dash-2.jpg

66 1600 Dash -3.jpg

66 1600 Dash-4.jpg

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would love to own a 66 as well.  But, My early 67 is outfitted with the 66 dash, rear badge and some other 66 specific trim. There is no rocker panel trim, and the seats are from a 66 as well. They

I am no-way a stickler for being factory correct. My '67 (Polaris) will be getting pig cheeks once I finish the rust repair. I've basically saved this thing from the junkyard, so I do not feel bad for

Wow! That's very much a period correct look, including the Ronal wheels. I have the same wheels in 5 1/2 x 13 on my 69 1600-2, Granada. That 1600ti wheel is a nice find.   Notice I also incl

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jmr_1602 said:

I would love to own one, but my car is an early ‘67. 

I would love to own a 66 as well.  But, My early 67 is outfitted with the 66 dash, rear badge and some other 66 specific trim. There is no rocker panel trim, and the seats are from a 66 as well. They have no latch. The previous owner owned a 66 in Bristol Grey. After driving it all over the place for 30 years the chassis rotted away. So he purchased an early 67, also in Bristol, and switched over many of the 66 specific trim and dash. He also installed a 2 liter and 245/5 trans. In the process he had the 4.11 diff rebuilt to LSD. I drive the car daily, and I like the 66 styling. I've also outfitted my My 69 1600-2 in 67 trim and most of the interior, including the dash. It doesn't bother me.

I try to limit the mods to a period correct look. Driving the cars in the hills really necessitates the addition of some sway bars. I therefore, also added a rear sway bar, something the 1600s were not equipped with until 69. The slightly stiffer suspension is the best mod I've done. As far as motors, I keep them in stock speck, either 1.6L or 2.0L, for longevity, mpg and flexibility.

Just two weeks ago I took my 67 to the local mountains for skiing. I would use no other car, as long as the roads are clear and no chains are required. My cars are clean, but they are not garage queens. You'll never see me come to a car show with my car on a flatbed. I don't know if I'll ever come to another car show, period. It's all getting obnoxious. That's the new generation of so called "Collectors" etc.

On another note, during the past week the weather changed drastically here in LA, melting what was left of the snow.

ski trip-2.jpg

ski trip-1.jpg

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, Slavs said:

The aluminum molding on this dash piece is black, but on my other 66 1600 dash it is polished. 

Slavs, do you mean a strip that goes between the two large pieces of the 3-piece dash? I have read that early cars had a 'chrome' molding (not the wider chromed pieces at the bottom of the dash.) I've always wondered what that meant bc I've never seen it.

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, mccusername said:

Slavs, do you mean a strip that goes between the two large pieces of the 3-piece dash?

Yes, exactly. It's that strip. I took my car for grocery shopping today, and I just took a pic for you. My dash is pretty clean, but it's already developed a small crack near the driver's side end. These things never last long,maybe 10 years max, if driven and exposed to the elements. This is the last of my good spares. I'll never find another at a self service salvage yard for $12. The "Cracker Jacks" and "Mellon Vendors" are asking $3,000 for a complete three piece. I hope that some of the remakes in the works make it out soon and at under $3,000. $1,000 would be much more reasonable.

chrome piece.jpg

Edited by Slavs
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Slavs said:

I hope that some of the remakes in the works make it out soon.

I don't think they're going to cost what you think they should cost, Slavs.🙂

I managed to find a uncracked upper pad so my 1600 dash is pure... for now.

Do you know when they switched from a polished strip to the black? 

• Like 1

I am no-way a stickler for being factory correct. My '67 (Polaris) will be getting pig cheeks once I finish the rust repair. I've basically saved this thing from the junkyard, so I do not feel bad for what I'm about to do to it. 😄 I do try to keep everything relatively period correct and I have all the correct early trim for a '67; in addition, I will be adding a 1600ti steering wheel I recently brought back to life. 

I will be transferring all the parts from my '70 1602 over to my '67. The 1602 has a salvage title from an accident I was in 10 years ago. I loved that car too much to give it up, so I fixed it and kept driving it. She was my daily driver until I had a kid a few year ago.

Anyhow, it will be nice to have a solid rust free, non-salvage titled '02.

My current '70 1602

IMG_4503.JPG

My '67 1600 project the first day I got it.

5-quarter-view.jpg

1600ti wheel I recently brought back to life.

IMG_8902.JPG

• Like 3

Wow! That's very much a period correct look, including the Ronal wheels. I have the same wheels in 5 1/2 x 13 on my 69 1600-2, Granada. That 1600ti wheel is a nice find.

Notice I also included the swan neck mirror, repositioning it on my 69 to the 67 location to the front of the door, when I painted my car last time, twenty years ago. I like it in that location as I twist my neck less.

69 1600.jpg

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mccusername said:

I don't think they're going to cost what you think they should cost, Slavs.🙂

I have a feeling you're right about that, unfortunately. I'm sure you had to deal with some "Mellon Vendor" to obtain that clean early dash.

I don't know just when they switched from the polished to the black trim or molding between the dash pieces. Judging by what I have, I would guess at some point during 66 because both of the dashboards I have are from a 66. But, you never know, someone could have taken the original polished piece and replaced it with a later one before I found the dash.

Edited by Slavs

If you look at @02Anders’s ‘66 Bible, you can see lots of images — from brochures and of ordinary production vehicles — that display the chromed plastic strip.

https://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603&start=30

Anders notes the chromed strip but casually says it applies to 1966 and 1967  model cars. I’m not certain that provides a complete picture. Given the examples of surviving 1966 1600-2’s provided in the ‘66 Bible, it seems the chromed strip lasted at least until VIN 1504010, manufactured August 25, 1966. There are simply not photos of the dashboards in examples later than VIN 1504010.

A factory brochure dated July 1967, however, also in the ‘66 Bible, clearly displays a black strip, not the chromed version. So I’m comfortable tentatively concluding that the chromed strip was phased out between August 1966 and July 1967. I guess that doesn’t help much!

As usual, we need more data...

Tom Jones ( @tjones02) owns an October 1966 example. I hope he weighs in.

Best regards,

Steve

@Conserv, @Slavsand I have chatted at length about ‘66 BMW16oo details, as @02Anders and I have too. Slavs’ chrome strip is the only one I have ever seen and am not 100% convinced it’s original, perhaps, 85% convinced. I would be more convinced if Anders has seen one, or Slavs had the VIN of the ‘66 that it came from. We may never know for sure.

15 hours ago, tjones02 said:

@Conserv, @Slavsand I have chatted at length about ‘66 BMW16oo details, as @02Anders and I have too. Slavs’ chrome strip is the only one I have ever seen and am not 100% convinced it’s original, perhaps, 85% convinced. I would be more convinced if Anders has seen one, or Slavs had the VIN of the ‘66 that it came from. We may never know for sure.

This trim piece on my 2/68 is purple...is that correct or did someone have a big imagination back in the day?

Edited by FunElan