Headliner install w/sunroof question

I’m getting ready to install a new headliner in a sunroof car. The old liner had a linen cloth between the liner and rubber pad at the sunroof front opening. I watched the video showing a new headliner being installed in the mobile tradition inka car and don’t see they replicated this detail. My question is what was this cloth for and do I need it? Also there is a fabric tape that goes over the seam where the dome light wood panel slides into the roof cross frame. I don’t know if this tape is still available and was thinking aluminum duct tape might work better. Any suggestions to either these questions appreciated. Thanks in advance 

3DD22488-D27A-44B1-8E32-852510B4F2E1.jpeg

71234495-D88C-4669-A9E5-333D37075E9C.jpeg

I recreated the fabric cloth over the rubber pad. I think it’s function is to keep the black rubber from making a shadow under the headliner. I’m going to use 3M 90 high strength adhesive for the headliner install. 

00049895-CD7D-4CD9-B31E-D9502C8E00E7.jpeg

Please use 3M Rubber and Vinyl Spray 80 instead of 90.  Spray 80 has a much higher temp resistance and will not be affected by and plasticizer in the headliner material.  Spray 90 is mostly recommended for HPL such as formica and wood veneers.

"Fast Bonds for Rubber and Vinyl 
As a high-performance, neoprene-based contact aerosol adhesive, 3M™ Rubber And Vinyl 80 Spray Adhesive produces high- strength and fast-setting bonds for strong application results. This rubber and vinyl adhesive provides tough bonds that exhibit exceptional heat resistance as well as resistance to plasticizing oils. These resilient bond properties offer excellent long-term durability for performance that is built to last. This product is typically used to bond rubber, supported vinyl, leather, pleather, wood, metal and many plastics."

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Rubber-And-Vinyl-80-Spray-Adhesive/?N=5002385+3293194236&rt=rud

Don

• Thanks 1

I have already bought the 90, but since you are saying this i cant be sure now. Problem is that in my country I can’t find the 80 and most of the US adhesive brands that you guys are using. But also by the way i had few extra small pieces of headliner and i just tested the 90 on them to some metal pieces that i had in my garage. I dont know how strong i can expect this adhesive to be, and even though we know that those areas will be supported by the glass weatherstripping, but honestly i expected a little bit more. Sprayed a coat on both metal and headliner before stick them together. And i managed to pull the headliner piece off without too much effort...

Edited by pehlivanov_tii
3 hours ago, pehlivanov_tii said:

I have already bought the 90, but since you are saying this i cant be sure now. Problem is that in my country I can’t find the 80 and most of the US adhesive brands that you guys are using. But also by the way i had few extra small pieces of headliner and i just tested the 90 on them to some metal pieces that i had in my garage. I dont know how strong i can expect this adhesive to be, and even though we know that those areas will be supported by the glass weatherstripping, but honestly i expected a little bit more. Sprayed a coat on both metal and headliner before stick them together. And i managed to pull the headliner piece off without too much effort...

For anything bonded on/in the roof area where it heats up from the sun a high temp resistance adhesive is a must. Neoprene based adhesives used in a two surface bond (contact adhesives) will be best. 

Don

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pehlivanov_tii said:

If you read the instructions on the can it says to spray adhesive on both surfaces to be adhered then wait 15 minutes to let the glue get tacky, then put the two pieces together and let sit for atleast 1 hour for initial setup and 24 hours for permanent stick.

You should be fine with the 90, like you said it will be supported by the weather stripping.

• Like 1

I used DAP contact adhesive (not the low VOC shit for CA) and it worked. Albeit I have not left my car in the hot sun and I noticed it is looks like it wants to lift around the sunroof edges.  I was thinking of redoing mine-with thinner headliner material for one and maybe trying the 3m weather strip glue in a squeeze tube.  

The best stuff I have ever seen was some nasty goo from China we used in the factory to glue kids PVC toys together.  

but what do I know, I have been sniffing glue for way too many years. 

• Haha 1